Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd HDD Vista Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

Morning Guys, I wish to install a new 500 gig Seagate drive and use Vista as the OS. Will I have problems or conflict's with my 1st drive that is openSUSE 11.0?? Thanks for the options, if any. Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

I think you will, but it can be overcome. LOL I can't find the thread I'm looking for to link you to. If you don't get an answer here, I'll direct you to the forum that I can't find the thread on lol. The guy who answered that one is still a mod over there and he is using a SUSE/Vista dual boot still I think.

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:49 AM

I think you will, but it can be overcome. LOL I can't find the thread I'm looking for to link you to. If you don't get an answer here, I'll direct you to the forum that I can't find the thread on lol. The guy who answered that one is still a mod over there and he is using a SUSE/Vista dual boot still I think.

Thanks Deathstalker, I may need to move the topic to Linux/Unix, but, lol, I do strange things w/computers.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:17 AM

Yes, I believe you'd have to install Vista, then reinstall the Linux boot loader as the Vista one won't see a Linux partition/drive as bootable, only other Windows installations. I'm pretty sure EasyBCD can do it, in fact I came across this article explaining the basics, so you should be able to use it running it from Vista to alter the bootloader :huh: .

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Exile, I'll check this out, looks like a great free program, someone needed to do this long ago. I enjoy Linux but a lot of my music files are Flac and the HDD's (2) 5oo gigs, are windows prepared. Cheers! Alan

#6 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

You're welcome :huh: . It is a great (and yes, free) program. I had to use it long ago when I first installed Vista RTM because I kept XP Pro installed on a different hard drive and had to manually configure Vista's bootloader to detect XP so I'd have the choice to boot from it.

#7 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

You're welcome :huh: . It is a great (and yes, free) program. I had to use it long ago when I first installed Vista RTM because I kept XP Pro installed on a different hard drive and had to manually configure Vista's bootloader to detect XP so I'd have the choice to boot from it.

I tried to install a 500 gig Seagate drive. I unplugged the Linux 320 Seagate and used the 1st SATA slot to load Vista. It said windows could not find the HDD drivers! Darn! What now???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users