Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With my old gateway g6-400

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jcc3258

Jcc3258

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

I have a gateway g6-400 and it will not get an internet connection through my old 3com 24port router I think it could be the network card but I am not sure about that.

If anyone can help me please reply back to this.

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :woot: :cool:

I am very angry about this because this computer has been in use for years and we've never had this problem.

LET ME KNOW RIGHT AWAY.

I have upgraded the memory on this computer recently.

it used to have 128mb i put another 128mb memory module and it's now got 256mb in dual channel mode.

Does anyone think it could be the memory upgrade.

Let ME KNOW A.S.A.P.

Edited by Jcc3258, 05 July 2009 - 08:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

Click on Start then run and type "winipcfg" ( without the quotes ). You will see a window like this: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/images/winipcfg.gif

Click on More info and it will now look like this: http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/diagrams/winipcfg.gif

In the adapter dropdown box, pick your network card. Once you have that look at the ip address. If it is a "169.254.x.x" number, then your card is not picking up an address from your dhcp server which is normally your router.

After multiple years of use in windows 98 or any operating system for that matter, it is possible that your network has stopped working. It would be a good idea to update the drivers for your network card and see if you can get an address and get on the internet.

As far as your memory upgrade causing this problem, I don't think that would ahve anything to do with it.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Jcc3258

Jcc3258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

Thank you for the help so much now my spare computer is back on the internet.

Thank goodness I am going to staples tomarrow to get ink for my printer.

Because I will be picking up some new cat 5e cables for the network.

I DID UPDATE THE DRIVER AND IT WORKS FINE.

But just to be on the safe side I will be replacing that ethernet cable to the g6-400

I AM NOW GETTING A DHCP SERVER.

THANKS,
JCC3258

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :woot: :cool:

#4 Jcc3258

Jcc3258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:21 PM

Click on Start then run and type "winipcfg" ( without the quotes ). You will see a window like this: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/images/winipcfg.gif

Click on More info and it will now look like this: http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/diagrams/winipcfg.gif

In the adapter dropdown box, pick your network card. Once you have that look at the ip address. If it is a "169.254.x.x" number, then your card is not picking up an address from your dhcp server which is normally your router.

After multiple years of use in windows 98 or any operating system for that matter, it is possible that your network has stopped working. It would be a good idea to update the drivers for your network card and see if you can get an address and get on the internet.

As far as your memory upgrade causing this problem, I don't think that would ahve anything to do with it.

Hope this helps,

I GOT IT WORKING A FEW MINUTES AGO.

IT WAS A DRIVER PROBLEM WITH THE COMPUTER AND I THINK THAT MY ROUTER IS ON IT'S WAY OUT

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

Good to hear you got it working.

Glad I could help.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."