Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random blackout on new rig

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anix

Anix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:34 AM

I have just put together a new computer from parts that I no longer use since I upgraded my main box. It worked fine for 2 days. I installed XP, ran a few games, used the internet, etc. Everything was fine. Today, I needed to install something from a DVD. I don't have a DVD-Rom drive on that computer, so I shared the drive on my vista box (64-bit) and installed over the network. About 10 minutes in, the screen simply goes black, and the monitor light is in sleep/no signal mode. The hard drive light stays on, even though it makes no sound. The restart and power buttons do nothing. I have to physically unplug (although I could use the back PS switch, I haven't tried) it to turn it off. After that, it refuses to do anything. No POST, no beeps, and the hard drive does not spin up. After messing around with the hardware, I tried it with just the ram and video card in. Still nothing. Then I put everything back in, deciding that it was late and I'd take a look at it tomorrow. On a whim, I tried booting it again and it worked. I finished installing the game i started to earlier, then my friends and I messed around with the internet for a while, until the same blackout thing happened again. Rather than randomly pulling apart the computer and putting it back together again and again, I decided to find some help. I have used all these parts together before except the case & power supply, and they worked flawlessly for years. After writing this, I think it may be a bad power supply and I will test a replacement tomorrow. In the meantime, any thoughts?

P4 2.4 Ghz
Radeon 9600 pro w/256 MB
1.5 Gigs DDR
I forget the motherboard, but it's an MSI.
Built in sound and ethernet. (before I used a PCI sound card, but I doubt that's the problem)
Western Digital HD
Generic off-white CD drive

PS: It's not close to overheating. In fact, it's cooler while running games than my main rig is while idle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

PSU sounds like a primary suspect, IMO.

Old PSU from "way back when"? New one?

Louis

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the heat you feel venting from your system is a good thing. It means that the parts are putting their heat into the air, instead of retaining it and burning out. You might want to feel your parts the next time your computer blacks out, checking RAM, CPU and video card for overheating. Perhaps they are not properly cooled.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users