This is a common question (one I had myself after discovering my winsxs folder had grown beyond 10Gb). DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES OR FOLDERS IN WINSXS!!!
It could make your OS unbootable, break installed programs and wreak general havok, but also keep in mind that it will get larger every time you install a new program or new version of a program and will most likely never decrease in size, so if you're like me and you're always installing new stuff to try it out, do a backup of your data and reformat every once in a while so you start with a fresh new (and much tinyer) winsxs folder
.Here's a list of links with additional info about the WinSxS folder:
It's also never a good idea not to update Windows as MS regularly releases patches that fix bugs, improve stability and performance, and most important of all fix critical security vulnerabilities
To get rid of some files and trim things down here's a couple of things you can do:
Download CCleaner from here to clean temp files from your computer.
- Double click on the file to start the installation of the program.
- Select your language and click OK, then next.
- Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
- Click next to use the default install location. Click Install then finish to complete installation.
- Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
- On the "Windows" tab, under "Internet Explorer," uncheck "Cookies" if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit).
- If you use either the Firefox or Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for "Cookies" is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
- Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."
deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours."
- Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
- Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Registry" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items.
- After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.
- Backup your files such as pictures, music and especially videos (as they tend to be the largest files) to an external hard drive, blank CD's or DVD's
- Confirm the backups are working and are readable (no file corruption or missing files you forgot to copy)
- Delete the original files from your C: drive
You can also uninstall any software that you no longer use as that will also free up some space.
Edited by exile360, 05 July 2009 - 05:38 AM.