Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prevention is a firewall in it's self!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hmurph

hmurph

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:46 AM

Whilst reading the logs of many an un-cool jack, Just take a look at hi-jack logs for certain malwares and you will soon notice the victims have the same taste in programs. Sadly, many popular programs are like sending an open invite to various vampire-wares.:thumbsup:

I, in my paranoia :flowers: have many suspects which I will not run on my pc for a reason and that's why I do not trust the following BIG 3 items:

#1-All Toolbars
(like Yahoo Toolbar w/ Fake Security Add-On inspired by Claria! :trumpet: aka. the b.s. artist formerly known as Gator! :inlove: )

#2-Generally MOST Messengers
:) (makes nice hole that is popup & trojan friendly )

#3-MOST Oddball Media Players
(Quicktime ect..."you just won an i-pod" popups mysteriously increase post-install)
or :cool: (Realplayer- resource-hog meets update-monster-That's not my idea of "keeping it real" )

:woot: It's always good to re-evaluate why we continue to use some programs and ask ourselves some important questions:

*why are the defaults settings usually to run at bootup, all the time,ect...?

*Why these progs are so up on updates, upgrades, and up-whatevers?

*Who makes these and why?

*Who are their "Business Customers" ?

*What advertising technologies have they unveiled or allowed to attract and please these important clients of theirs?

*Does the benefit to us outway any risk associated with the program and if so are we armed against potential risk?

Edited by hmurph, 07 July 2005 - 04:03 AM.

MurphPosted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users