Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wuauclt.exe NTVDM CPU illegal instruction.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrei

Andrei

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

This problem is occurring on a Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 computer.

I get a command prompt box and an error box that pops up every 10 seconds or so. The error says:

"C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction." Once I close it, it pops up again shortly thereafter.

I have tried to replace/reinstall wuaclt.exe but Vista will not allow it.

I can prevent the error from occurring if I turn off Windows Automatic Update, but I would like to get to the root of the problem.

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

You can reset the windows update components. See if that helps if not then:

Do you get a particular error number?
Have you tried to install SP2 and failed?
In ALL the threads I read concerning this issue when I googled it the problem ended up being caused by some sort of Malware. If the above link doesn't work, I would persue the malware possibility.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it looks like malware. When I posted I hadn't yet reached THIS thread on the problem from........... here, Bleeping Computer lol.

I would disregard my suggestion to reset the update components and head straight to the malware section.

Edited by DeathStalker, 04 July 2009 - 09:36 PM.

#3 Andrei

Andrei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

Well I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it did not find anything significant (I removed them all anyway). The problem persisted.

However, I followed your previous advice and reset the windows update components and that did the trick. I have not had an error since I did it. Thank you!

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:14 AM

Cool, glad it worked. I would still keep in the back of your mind though the possibility of Malware. If this happens again or you get other weird problems, have it checked for Malware. MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) doesn't see everything.

#5 Andrei

Andrei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

The problem is back. I have run several different malware detection programs with no results. How would you suggest I proceed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users