Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" frequently becomes unchecked

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 piroteknix

piroteknix

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

When I start up my laptop, about 50% of the time I have to right-click wireless settings, click "View Available Wireless Networks," click "Change advanced settings," click the "Wireless Networks" tab, and check the box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings." It's very inconvenient.

I Googled the problem. One forum said make sure that there's not "MS and 3rd party loading at the same time" in the start-up folder. I couldn't find anything there that would interfere, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem. Another forum said right click My Computer, click Manage, double-click Services and Applications, double-click Services, find Wireless Zero Configuration Properties, and change startup type to "Automatic." This was already on, so I don't what else could be causing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup: Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

you say you can't find anything, but have you opened MS configuration utility and checked? start, run, msconfig

then click the startup tab and look for anything that looks related, i would say it is most likely to be under common startup

Elliot

Edited by frank_cheese, 05 July 2009 - 01:42 PM.

Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

#3 piroteknix

piroteknix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

The only thing listed as "common startup" is one program I downloaded the other day. But I know that program isn't the culprit, I've had this problem for months. I don't know what anything else does, and I'm afraid to uncheck them in case one happens to be vital :thumbsup: What should I be looking for to disable that might cause my problem?

#4 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

Ok, there will probably be a few things that windows is using but generally anything vital is run as a windows service before or at logon, not in MSCONFIG, so you should not damage your system by unchecking startup tools, but some of them will be your antivirus etc. as long as you are only looking at your startup tab, screenshot it (PrtSc on the keyboard) and upload it to this site: www.verzend.be or photobucket or something, then i can see exactly what you have sitting there and whether any of that could be causing a problem. also, open system restore and look around at the rough date you think this started occuring, don't revert to a saved state yet, but if you find a point around the time this started happening, tell me what is says about the restore point, what was installed/edited/changed.

Elliot
Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

#5 piroteknix

piroteknix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't know when the problem started, I just know it was months ago. Not even sure which month. Plus, this laptop was used by both my mom and a local college student before I got it. I don't know if either of them had this problem.

Here's the screenshot of everything in my Startup tab. Just for your information, the unchecked "backup_reminder" and "winupdates_reminder" are two things that came with the computer when the college student owned it. They're reminders from the college that pop up every X times the computer starts up, reminding students to back up their files, and also when Windows automatic updates happen.

edit: just checked out some of the things I didn't recognize on that list. Looks like mstre19.exe and freddy49.exe are viruses/spyware...? Oops! Other things control IBM TrackPoint and other general ThinkPad operations.

Edited by piroteknix, 06 July 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#6 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

agreed, mstre19.exe is a file infector virus, and has been known to cause programs to periodically start or stop, whilst freddy49.exe is a virus that adds random startup entries in both msconfig and the registry, but whatever you do don't go messing with the registry. edit:the random startup entries could be causing your problem when you start the pc
for the viruses i would recommend downloading and running this tool; http://malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php be sure to update it before you run it, and make sure that you have added an exception to the windows firewall for this program if you have windows firewall enabled. if they are still checked in the msconfig startup tab then remove them later by unchecking them and using msconfig cleanup, but run malware bytes first.

msconfig cleanup; http://www.get-in-control.com/msconfig-cle...eanup-setup.exe

i have to start a new post, running out of space!

Edited by frank_cheese, 07 July 2009 - 10:16 AM.

#7 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:09 AM

remove the virus before continuing with these steps, make sure it is also removed from the quarantine folder as i have known viruses to continue pestering from there!
OK, please be careful when doing the following, make a system restore point and backup all your important files to somewhere not attatched to the computer as unchecking the wrong thing could cause problems.
as for your startup tab, that is absolutely huge, here are a list of things that you can definitely afford to uncheck (but not delete)

jusched
qttask
iTunesHelper

these are things you could uncheck but do so at your own risk

TpShocks
dumprep 0 -k (sounds like a mod/hack that someone put in themselves, i have something similar which forces windows to use all RAM before using pagefile/swapfile)
SynTPLpr
SynTPEnh
igfxtray( a helping process for the intel graphics cards)
tpkmapap (the IBM keyboard mapping utility)
HPWuSchd2 (an updating an information gathering utility for HP software or computers)
tp4x (the help and functionality program for a thinkpad trackpoint)
ezejmnap (info for EasyEject Utility)
qwlicon (only needed if you use the IBM wireless settings program)
SMax4PNP (SoundMax control panel)
SMax4 (SoundMax control processor)

if you do not feel comfortable unchecking any of these then don't, but all of these are potentially using valuable cpu time but none of them look to be causing problems with your network connection properties. i will keep on this, but for now at least i am baffled

Edited by frank_cheese, 07 July 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#8 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

oops, forgot, if you don't manage to remove the virus then try trend micro housecall (just google it) then if it still persists, get in touch with a member of the HJT Team, i am currently trying to apply for the training for it but it is against bleepingcomputer's policy to have 'unqualified' members help on the HJT forums, it is OK for me to give you a hand on here but the HJT crew get very upset when other people do their job...

#9 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

you can also get rid of WMPNSCFG unless you use the windows media player network sharing tools

#10 Rajive

Rajive

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

Hi friends i am rajive here from bangladesh i can fix "" use windows to configure my wireless network settings " problem, knock me on my yahoo id rajive02 is my id, Good luck to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users