Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete C:\windows\system32\msivxcount [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 imeee00

imeee00

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

I'm running Windows Vista and am infected with this file:

c:\windows\system32\msivxcount

When I open Firefox or Inernet Explorer, I get the following message:

globalroot\systemroot\system32\MSIVXfvunnipfqjocqxlicucgbxdjlxqeakhj.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator of the software vendor for support.

If I click OK or close the window, then my browser will still load, but it's slower than normal.

I ran Malware Bytes by Antimalware and it said that it found the file and said it would delete it upon reboot. But, after rebooting I scanned again and it's still finding this file. Also, if I manually try to find the file where the Malware Bytes says it is, I can't find it.

Can someone help out? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hello and welcome.

ROOTREPEAL

Next Please install RootRepeal

Go HERE, and download RootRepeal.zip to your Desktop.
NOTE: Vista users.. Right click on desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator."
Tutorial with images ,if needed >> L@@K.
Unzip that,(7-zip tool if needed) and then click RootRepeal.exe to open the scanner.
Next click on the Report tab, now click on Scan. A Window will open asking what to include in the scan. Check all of the below and then click OK.

Drivers
Files
Processes
SSDT
Stealth Objects
Hidden Services

Now you'll be asked which drive to scan. Check C: and click OK again and the scan will start. Please be patient as the scan runs. When the scan has finished, click on Save Report.
Name the log RootRepeal.txt and save it to your Documents folder (it should automatically save it there).
Please copy and paste that into your next reply.

Edited by boopme, 06 July 2009 - 10:11 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users