Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to disable RAID in BIOS on MSI 648 Max

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

I have made a mistake by purchasing a RAID card instead of just a PCI SATA card to run my WD 1TB drive. I am only trying to run the WD 1TB drive as one single HDD boot drive. Now my BIOS is confused cause it still think im trying to run RAID and I cant seem to figure out how to disable RAID in the BIOS. My motherboard is the SIS 648 Max and I need to disable RAID in order to get my hard drives to work. When I enter the BIOS and go to Advanced BIOS Options and enter the boot sequence the drives now say HDD0, HDD1, HDD2, HDD3, or SCSI. This makes me think that its still trying to run raid instead of just one single drive. How can I disable the RAID in my BIOS. I dont want to flash the BIOS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Simply go to Exit in the BIOS & load the deaults, exit saving the changes.

That should automatically disable the RAID .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

If you bought a controller card...it has it's own BIOS.

So...you should get two different BIOS screens...the system BIOS first and then the RAID BIOS.

How many drives are installed (total) and where is each connected?

Both SATA and RAID...may be listed in the system BIOS as SCSI on older motherboards, IME. So, seeing that as a boot option may not mean anything.

The key is the BIOS for the controller card.

Louis

#4 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

There is one IDE hard drive connected to my computer. It is connected from the IDE Cable on the motherboard to the drive. Then a 4pin molex connect is coming from my 550W power supply. The drive I am trying to format under XP is not installed connected. It would be running from an IDE to SATA Adapter since my motherboard doesnt support SATA as standard without the adapter. I cant seem to format XP on either my IDE or my SATA drive. It freezes at the "setup is installing windows" message. Sometimes it will work but then it gets stuck during the format and just hangs. HELP!!! I need to format XP on either drive.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

If it doesn't matter...

Remove the SATA drive.

The only two drives which should now be connected are the IDE/PATA drive...and 1 optical drive. This is what XP expects to see on an install effort.

Change BIOS boot options so that the optical drive in 1st option (if not done already). Save settings and reboot (with the XP install CD in the optical drive).

FWIW: What you acquired is not a controller card. A controller card installs in a PCI or PCI-e slot and has direct connection to drives.

Louis

Note: I see no RAID BIOS as part of that board's configuration, http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=428&page=2

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2009 - 10:39 AM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

Why can't you setup the sata drive on the sata card without any adapters

If you want to load windows on it that's easy also.

exactly what do you want to do?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

What SATA Raid card did you buy?

SIS based, Adaptec, 3ware????

Each has their own bios on the controller card.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#8 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

I cant install the SATA Drive on the card because it seems to want to run RAID. I am not trying to run raid. I just want to run 1 single HDD. That would be my WD 1TB SATA Drive. I bought the Rosewill RC209 SATA RAID Card.

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

The Rosewill RC209 SATA Raid Card uses the Silicon IMage 3114 chip.

This card can be changed from Raid to NON-Raid. The files and the instructions can be found here: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/search...d=28&cat=15

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

I don't think you have to flash it, just hook a single drive to A and let it default to JBOD

For a clean install of windows on it?

The mobo boot order scuzzi should be second after cdrom

Press F6 to load the floppy drivers for the card

Make sure the other hard drive is disconnected

Otherwise just show the old drive's install the new drivers for the card then use disk management to initialize and format the new drive

Edited by DaChew, 06 July 2009 - 07:33 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users