Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply compatability

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gregoryd

gregoryd

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

I need to replace the PSU in my daughters Presario 6000 M/N 6350CA with the PSU out of an IBM 6285 M/N G1U. The only difference I can "SEE" is that the P3 connectors are different. The usual thin, flat, white connector on the IBM and a 1/4" square connector on the Presario. Anyone know the colour codes, as the IBM wires are yellow, black, black, red and the Presario is orange, orange, black, black. Just a thought.

For the reason for the change, see my post in the XP forum titled - Idiot kids and hard drives!

Thank you.
Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

If you want the Presario 6000 to last & maybe work right you would be much further ahead buying a PSU that will actually work in the unit instead of trying to cobble one together that doesn't belong in it.

EVERYTHING in a computer connets to , & depends on, the PSU one way or another.

That is the ! thing you don't want to cobble together.

[Unless the kid can use a new computer]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

That was sort of the gist of the, just a thought. I'd pretty much decided on that approach, I just thought I'd ask.
If you were to ask my wife, a blown light bulb around here is my fault.

Thanks mate.
Greg.

#4 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

So I completely removed the power supply and left it on the work bench for two weeks. Yesterday I said what the hell and put it all back together. Well, if the damned thing doesn't work like nothing had ever happened.
As a side note, I tried several hundred times to reformat an 80 gig laptop hard drive ( vista to xp ) but it would fail within hours. Took out the hard drive and left it on the work bench for two months. Put it back in this morning and if the damn thing isn't still working. I will scan my work bench tonight and see if I can't find the face of Jesus or Mary or something.
I'll take pictures if I find anything Holy.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

I have a dead computer.
Will you put it on your workbench for awhile ?

I've had it on mine for over a week & it hasn't got any better. :thumbsup:

Any how, glad you have a healing workbench !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users