Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help where to send laptop to be opened to put new hard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

Dear members:

does any one know please where do isend my laptop to be opened to take out the old hd and put a new hd in? (checked bestbuy, circui tcity, staples, and my nearest toshiba laptop providers: all do it for at least 70 dollars just for taking out hd and installing a new one!)?
Also, can you tell me how to open up a laptop or articles that do show you how step by step and other things? please let me know as soon as u can! thank you very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

Make & Model of laptop & maybe I can offer you some assistance.

#3 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:48 PM

i have toshiba satellite 1400-s151. just to let u know i unscrewed everything but the hd still does't move an inche (tried sliding it also: hd is on the bottom not front just to let u know). and i checked the toshiba site and user guide, but it doesn't give me any info on how to do it (just says take it to ur nearest provider to do the job) so i believe, i really have to dismantle the laptop or open in half in order toget the hd out. therefore, can you tell me please how do u do that (any information will help:)) thank u very much

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:21 AM

It sounds as if you have already tried this. The cover on the bottom should reveal the HDD there should be a screw or 2 on each side of it (probably on the mounting bracket) then slide the HDD back to unplug it from the board and you should be able to lift it out. Remove the mounting brackets, place them on the new drive and install be sure not to bend any of the pins when plugging it in. I don't see why they would put a door in the bottom of the laptop if there is no way to remove the drive from that access. If there is anyway you can post a picture of what it looks like after you remove the drive access door, I can not find any good pictures. Toshiba has made this top secret info I guess.

I have not had the pleasure of working on a Toshiba that I can remember. Some of the older laptops (all makes) you had to pull the keyboard to gain access to the HDD but they didn't have an access door.

If you feel you need to go in from the top then there should be screws around the bottom of the case, remove them, usually you will start from the top, above the keys, under the display, after removing the cover then there will be screws to hold the keyboard in place. It is kind of a, look & explore, process as it seems they all come apart in different ways.

It seems that these shops now days are kind of pricey $70 just to R&R a HDD, shouldn't be more then a 30 min job even if one has to go in the top.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

#5 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:47 AM

okay i try what u suggested. also, just to let u now, when i open the one screw where the hd is, i see the tray and the hd is covered in silver shiny paper, so i can't really see the hd just the wrapped up shinny paper covering it. therefore, can youtell me what is the purpose of doing that and what is it for (the shinny silver paper thing?)

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:33 AM

okay i try what u suggested. also, just to let u now, when i open the one screw where the hd is, i see the tray and the hd is covered in silver shiny paper, so i can't really see the hd just the wrapped up shinny paper covering it. therefore, can youtell me what is the purpose of doing that and what is it for (the shinny silver paper thing?)

The only real reason I can think the silver foil type covering would be for is a heat shield or a way or detecting tampering while under warranty. Peel the foil tape back and see if there is any mounting screws. Be sure to put the foil back after replacing the drive for it is probably a heat shield.

Note:If this laptop is still under Manufactures Warranty I suggest sending it to a Toshiba authorized shop for anything you do could void your warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users