Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Bramish

Bramish

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Pretty self-explanatory. That's the message I get when trying to boot. It says I should boot from the Windows Setup disk to reair, but I don't have it with me. Is there another way to fix his?

I'm not sure what caused it but it could be that the power cut off whilst my computer was booting yesterday- it hasn't worked sine then.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

In the c:\windows\system32\config folder are some files - 5 of which represent parts of your registry:

system
sam
security
software

Your problem appears to be the file called software (at least).

There should be copies on your hard disk in c:\windows\repair (which could be old) and also perhaps newer ones in the folder that contains the last system restore point :thumbsup:, so you could recover at least that far back.

Somehow you need to beg, borrow or steal a bootable XP CD of the same version as yours to get to the recovery console - unless you cleverly already have RC installed as a boot option (you probably will after you fix this). I reckon your could create one of those bootable linux CDs to get access to your HDD, but I have no experience with that.

Here is a Mircrosoft KB that describes how to resolve this issue once recovery console in running using a bootable XP CD, or the already installed Recovery Console on your hard disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;Product=winxp

I suggest reading it thoroughly, since they have some "may not apply to you" language, but it is easy to follow and I have used it a couple times on a system where RC was not installed (but is now).

How did this situation come about?

Edited by joseibarra, 04 July 2009 - 12:57 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

Thanks - I'll try that. Not even sue which vesion of XP I was running. I'm a full blown idiot when it comes to computer technical stuff. I'm hopefully getting an XP CD tonight so I'll give it a bash with that. Not sure how it came about, but like I said, it may have been the power cut mid-boot.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Follow the steps in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

If you need to, you can download a copy of the Windows XP Recovery Console here (RAR archive (4.3MB) containing the RC ISO file. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from it.)

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Good luck and let us know how you make out, or if you get in a jam.

If you can't come up with a CD, then be thinking about how to make a bootable linux CD for plan B - there are plenty of resources, but I have never tried them.

Maybe somebody knows a sure fire method for creating those things.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

Oh yeah - those 5 files are a "set", so don't try to get away with just installing the single file called system.

#7 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

OK, I burned the rc ISO to a CD and booted from that. I'm in the Recovery Console, ried typing in the first line as instructed on that step-by-step guide.

md tmp

I got:
Access is denied.

Now what?

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

type dir

what does it say?

#9 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

OK, I burned the rc ISO to a CD and booted from that. I'm in the Recovery Console, ried typing in the first line as instructed on that step-by-step guide.

md tmp

I got:
Access is denied.

Now what?

#10 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

After typing dir I get:

Directory of C:\

An error occurred during directory enumeration

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hmmm... I made one of those CDs and it worked okay - at least it booted, asked me for a partition (I chose c:\windows) and an Administrator password which I entered.

I ended up in the C:\WINDOWS folder, could run DIR (got a whole bunch of stuff) and MD TMP, etc. It appeared most promising.

Does any of that sound familiar or close to your results?

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

After typing dir I get:

Directory of C:\

An error occurred during directory enumeration

try cd WINDOWS

then follow the step by step.

Recovery Console is disallowed access to everything but the WINDOWS directory. If you were in the C:\ Directory, then you'd get an Access Denied message like you did.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 04 July 2009 - 04:28 PM.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

When I got that message a while back I bought a disk at Wallmart for around 30 buck called Fix-it Utilities 9. That disk had an emergency boot disk and that let me boot up my system and use System Restore to get my system up.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

Worth a look: Avira AntiVir Rescue System - http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_a...cue_system.html

Louis

#15 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

Thanks guys. I'll try the latest suggestions tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users