Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home or Pro Installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

I just received a Western Digital Passport, USB, 230Gb, external drive for our anniversary. Is it possible to install and run Windows XP Home or Pro (I have licenses for both which are not being used at this time) on this drive connected to a Netbook? If XP is not probable, how about Vista?
This would solve a lot of problems with a Dell Netbook which for now is just sitting collecting dust.

Please let me know how and where I can find information on this.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

If I remember correctly, the answer is no. At least not without some heavy hacking involved.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Windows is designed in such a way that it must be on the first partition of the first internal hard drive, or at least its bootloader must be there.

you can always try out various Linuxes, many of which can be installed and /or run from USB drives.

#3 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

Amazing Andrew:
(from the City that never sleeps)

If what you say about boot then Bart PE and Windows PE and Spotmau wouldn't work. I think I saw something a while
ago from HP (possibly external USB or maybe Thumb Drive) Will check and let you know also. I have a couple of those in the 16Gb variety. Or How About an SD CARD??

Best Idea I'v heard yet is installing Linux. I believe Ubuntu will install ... I will give it a whirl. Only problem would be the conversion of documents (word and office) Been thru that with Mozilla before but I believe there is a filter on the Linux side reallly from BSD using dd ... I think it was a kind of compiled batch file that ran the filter against %1 and then brought up the word processor.

Thanks for the tip about Linux I have a number of distros here ... just never crossed my mind. Will also check Linux/Unix forum here at BC.

regards _ed_

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users