Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unbelievable Problem connecting LCD Monitor

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

This is the second time of posting, after a few replies the page just dissapeared or was removed. Better luck this time!
I bought a LCD Monitor at a boot sale and as it was identical to one I already had I didn't anticipate any problems. I could never have expected the one that arrose! When I attempted to connect it I found that there was no 12v 5a Power input socket. The monitor has no makers name but carries a Model and Serial number. It was manufactured in China in 2003 and has obviously been in use since. There must be some way to apply the power ? I will be most interested in any opinions and observations. I have made Photograph's which can be examined on line at the following website.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab173/D...rr/Monitor1.jpg
(I Hope that at least one of these links work)

I wanted to share something on Photobucket with you: http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab173/D...rr/Monitor1.jpg

As I am new to this forum I can only hope that I have not done anything against the forum rules.
Dennis

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
EDIT: Fixed link - I hope

Edited by garmanma, 04 July 2009 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

This is the second time of posting, after a few replies the page just dissapeared or was removed. Better luck this time!

Unfortunately I don't have a reply to your issue as I do not have the knowledge in that area.

However I do want to address the concerns you mention which I have quoted. I have not seen the post that you mention disappearing. If you look under your name at the left as of this reply you have a total of 3 posts. All which I can account for. The one I am replying to here and the two in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1293554 which are posts #1 and #3. Did you post it under another account. It has not been counted and I cannot find a 'fourth' post to know it even existed.

So I can say with certainty the post you claim to have disappeared has not been moved or deleted. For whatever reason it did not make it to this forum. I hope I have been able to partially answer the mystery of your post.

And best of luck on your issue. I have confidence someone will be able to help you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

It would certainly help if you showed us the back of the monitor

and also what the end of the cable plug looks like.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

The link to 'Photobucket 'clearly' shows the 'Back,Bottom and Front' of the monitor the only lead emerging is the standard 'Blue' plug terminated one which connects to the computer.
Dennis

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Some links are missing.

Does the access panel best seen in this one:

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab173/D...rr/Monitor3.jpg

open to reveal anything?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

Actually, both links in your first post go only to your "Monitor1.jpg" phot -- a photo of the monitor from the front.

I used a little intuition and figured that you might have used the same naming scheme for other photos and came up with:

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab173/D...rr/Monitor2.jpg

and

I can see the voltage requirements on the tag, and no line or jack for a power supply. None of your photos (that I've found) show the plug at the end of the single cable. Does it look standard? Assuming that there's no hidden access behind a removable panel, I'd guess the power connection must be in that cable.

EDIT: Platypus beat me to it.

Edited by Capn Easy, 04 July 2009 - 06:02 PM.

#7 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

hey dennis, noticed you were online and thought this would be a good time to grab you, i have heard of computer powering screens, but the computer has to have quite a large power supply, i actually used to have one like this, but the screen was rather pathetic, i think because there is obviously a limit on what you can draw out of a computer power supply without overloading the socket it is plugged into.

Edited by frank_cheese, 05 July 2009 - 01:04 PM.

Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

#8 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the comment Frank, much appreciated.
Dennis

#9 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

Some links are missing.

Does the access panel best seen in this one:

open to reveal anything?

Sorry that I don't seem to have got the hang of posting pictures on 'PhotoBucket' yet but 'Captn Easy' seems to have found a way arround my omissions.
Dennis

Edited by Dennis Leefarr, 05 July 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,688 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

I bought a LCD Monitor ... as it was identical to one I already had

How is the one you already have powered?

#11 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

The 19" identical monitor is powered in the conventional manner with the power input socket on the metal strip at the back bottom of the screen next to the main connecting cable. I had expected the 17" one to be the same. I was wrong.
Dennis

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,688 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

Ah, so they're not actually identical... :thumbsup:

A bit of research suggests you've got an eMachines Proview EM 170 TFT. If so there should be a socket on the back of the VGA plug on the end of that single cable, and a suitable power brick should have come with the monitor. A substitute could be found, as discussed in the topic below:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6763

#13 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Platypus! You Clever devil, You win the prize. You have hit the nail on the head and you are absoloutely correct.
There is the power input socket that I and all the others have been searching for 'Hiding' on the back of the Blue standard connector plug. I must have had a blindspot as I had not noticed it until you drew my attention to it.(You are the man)
Sincere apreciation and thanks,
Dennis

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,688 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

Good result! Glad to help.

But JohnWho had already asked for a picture of the VGA plug... :thumbsup:

#15 otepsaves

otepsaves

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hi All,

I have the same "unbelievable" problem. But I still canīt find the socket.

In the image you can see the vga plug, on the right of the metal pannel, and a hole on the left side, that is not the power socket. Please, can you explain me where do I have to connect de power adapter??? Thanks a lot.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users