Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX275

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LOLWHUT

LOLWHUT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

So I ordered a GTX275 and I have some AS5 to waste and put on the heatsink. I was wondering about the following:

Ease of Doing: 1 easy 10 impossible

Temp Drop from stock TP: (In degrees F please)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

On most graphics cards, you just have to unscrew the screws on the bottom of the graphics card, and the whole heatsink/fan assembly will pop off. It's a pretty easy task, not really harder then putting paste on a processor. The gpu is much smaller then a cpu. Be careful with the ram though, they may have thermal pads or paste on them already. You should probably just leave those alone.

I'm not sure how big of an improvement you would see, it all depends how crappy of paste and how crappy of a job the current paste applied to it is like. You may not even see an improvement at all. If you're not having overheating problems, I wouldn't bother, but it's up to you what you want to do.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 LOLWHUT

LOLWHUT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

On most graphics cards, you just have to unscrew the screws on the bottom of the graphics card, and the whole heatsink/fan assembly will pop off. It's a pretty easy task, not really harder then putting paste on a processor. The gpu is much smaller then a cpu. Be careful with the ram though, they may have thermal pads or paste on them already. You should probably just leave those alone.

I'm not sure how big of an improvement you would see, it all depends how crappy of paste and how crappy of a job the current paste applied to it is like. You may not even see an improvement at all. If you're not having overheating problems, I wouldn't bother, but it's up to you what you want to do.

Thanks!

I just have to wait until I can buy a new copy of windows because mine is borked and there is no CD for me to use. Would you recommend vista home premium 64 bit or plain old XP home edition?

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

If you can't wait until Win7 comes out, I would buy a copy of Vista 64 that come with a coupon for a free upgrade to Win7 like this. Stick a fork in XP, it's dead.

#5 LOLWHUT

LOLWHUT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

If you can't wait until Win7 comes out, I would buy a copy of Vista 64 that come with a coupon for a free upgrade to Win7 like this. Stick a fork in XP, it's dead.

Well how much is that coupon for? I'm betting like $10 off of the basic version.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

I'll type this slower this time so you can keep up. It comes with a coupon for a FREE upgrade for Win7.

FREE. ZERO DOLLARS. FREE. NOT 10 DOLLARS OFF, FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU PAY NADA, NYET, NOTHING MORE FOR THE FREE UPGRADE TO WIN7.

Try actually clicking the link.

EDIT: You try actually clicking the link and I'll try to actually get around to reading the offer. It's a FREE copy of the WIN7 RC. What a crock lol. Nevermind, hell, you can get the RC REALLY for free just by downloading it from MS still I think.

My bad.

Edited by DeathStalker, 05 July 2009 - 02:09 AM.

#7 LOLWHUT

LOLWHUT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

I'll type this slower this time so you can keep up. It comes with a coupon for a FREE upgrade for Win7.

FREE. ZERO DOLLARS. FREE. NOT 10 DOLLARS OFF, FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU PAY NADA, NYET, NOTHING MORE FOR THE FREE UPGRADE TO WIN7.

Try actually clicking the link.

EDIT: You try actually clicking the link and I'll try to actually get around to reading the offer. It's a FREE copy of the WIN7 RC. What a crock lol. Nevermind, hell, you can get the RC REALLY for free just by downloading it from MS still I think.

My bad.

meow...
You can download windows 7 which I think I will because it's useful until whut, august 10th? And by then I'll actually have the munys to buy the REAL windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users