Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what brand for wireless

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:03 PM

I was wondering what brand of wireless products is best for wireless networking. The reason I am asking is because I have a Linksys gaming router that has broken once and I had to send it in to be repaired. Now it is messed up again and I need to do something different. I know that these brands also make one "D-link, Net Gear". Does anyone have any reccommendations.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:20 PM

I have used devices by all of those at one time or another and personally I like Linksys the best. D-link would be a close second however, NetGear third.

#3 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:46 PM

What about Belkin?

#4 duenna

duenna

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:42 AM

I have used devices by all of those at one time or another and personally I like Linksys the best. D-link would be a close second however, NetGear third.

I have used all but I got a bit of a surprise from a little box I bought from B&Q. I think its made by some unknown called trend or something. (Cant remember its in the front room connected to cable modem) I just plugged it in and it configured itself. Then It asked for a email address and it even sends me intrusion alerts!

The mac loves it and if your on cable in the UK you only need to enter your PID once all other computers are behind it. Its cool!

#5 kourvoisier

kourvoisier

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

I have used my D-link router going on 3 years now. never had a problem.
tho this isnt a wireless router

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

(thgought id throw my 2 cents worth in too) I am favorablr to the Linksys, I run 3 host programs through it, and port forward nicely, lots of options for the administrator in you, solid dual antenna for 802.11g. I install this stuff for a living, and i have had issues with pppoe, dhcp, port forwarding, node wan limits, and more with different brand names, but SO FAR not had any issues with linksys wrt series routers. but you may now have a sour taste in your mouth from them. so d-link is runner up for me too.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users