Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus and AntiSpyware

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JamieLawther

JamieLawther

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:24 AM

Hiya ,
What anti virus and anti spyware is the best combo , Avast! - Zonealarm and Ad-Aware or
Microsoft Security Essentials - Malwarebytes' Anit-Malware and Ca Yahoo! Anti Spyware

Thanks , Jammaz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

What do you mean by 'best'?

All you need is a firewall, an anti-virus and an anti-spyware program to protect your computer. If you have updated your computer and have at least Service Pack 2 on it, then you have a firewall. Grisoft is offering a free A/V - A/S at http://free.avg.com This is an excellent program as it is very small, and does not intrude too much in the use of the computer such as Norton or some others will, also not a resource hog. Plus it is FREE.

That is all the protection you need.

You will find the other programs you mention are fine. However, Zone alarm is a bit overkill, and a frusterating nuisance in my opinion as well as many others who have used it. And why do you need such a program? Is it to protect your computer from your own behavior? Behavior on the internet is the main reason why computers get infected. Learn safe behavior and you might not even need protection of any kind (although I don't recommend that, just making a point.)
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

I love using ZoneAlarm and in no way find it to be a nuisance or overkill, nor is it needed to protect my computer from me. It does however, protect my computer from itself, lol. I have the paid version of ZoneAlarm so not only does it give me outbound protection, it lets me control what all the programs on my computer do. There are many programs that try to update themselves all the time when I do not want them to, and do not have a setting that lets me prevent them from doing so, ZoneAlarm stops them from doing so. There are programs that want to add themselves to my startup that I do not want there and they do not have a setting that lets me prevent them from doing so, ZoneAlarm stops them from doing so. There are Windows programs that want to "call home" that I cannot stop from doing so, but ZoneAlarm can. I have very safe surfing and downloading practices, in fact I hardly do any, but I know it is still possible that I might get some kind of infection and if by chance it slips by my ZoneAlarm virus protection, ZoneAlarms firewall should keep it from "calling home" with any of my information or sending invites for some of its malicious friends to come join it for a party on my computer. I would never not have a firewall that provides outbound protection and the XP firewall does not have that and the one in Vista doesn't have good enough outbound protection.

I love ZoneAlarm!!!

Jamie, I would use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as on demand scanners with whatever antivirus/firewall combo you use. I also use Spybot and SpywareBlaster to immunize my system. For antivirus/firewall the best usually means whatever works best on your system. All systems react differently to the different antivirus programs so whatever runs on your system well, and is easy for you to use, thats the one that is the best for you.

Edited by Stang777, 04 July 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#4 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

Grisoft is offering a free A/V - A/S at http://free.avg.com This is an excellent program as it is very small, and does not intrude too much in the use of the computer such as Norton or some others will, also not a resource hog. Plus it is FREE.

I don't think you have tried the latest versions of these products. Unlike AVG 7, AVG 8 is a known resource hog, and the installer is 60 MB, not really that small. The Norton 2009 products are much lighter on resources, in fact the AV is currently one of the lightest according to various reviews, or if you look at AV-Comparatives performance test. And Norton is one of the most user-friendly AV, how does it intrude too much in the use of the computer?

Edited by Someones, 04 July 2009 - 08:32 PM.

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

Jamie, I would use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as on demand scanners with whatever antivirus/firewall combo you use.

Agreed.

#6 JamieLawther

JamieLawther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Everyone Who Helped ,

Some info . I HATE avg with a passion . It let 5 trojans in my computer when I had the Pro Version .
I agree with the guy about Norton 2009 , I have that running on my desktop , Its super . But the problem is im on a netbook and am waiting on Asus EEE dvd to be sent out ... it has been weeks , they said another 2 wks ??? and I was just wanting a trusted A/V untill then ... Also ... Anyone like Avira ???
I forgot to mention . I have DriveSentry Drive Protection built into my Netbook

Thanks , Jammaz

#7 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

Yes, Avira is very popular and effective. I settled on the free version and am very happy with it.

The biggest factor in my PC security has been my own surfing habits. I don't believe there is any protection products that will make up for risky surfing habits.

#8 SacKing

SacKing

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

Is Norton 2009 a free ware if not which free anti-virus is best? i was using avast 4.8 but was having problems with so i removed it and don't know which one to install try bitdefender,avg or is avast better? also is it important to have a firewall?

I have these programs on my computer right now
Super Anti-spyware
Malware-bytes
Atf-cleaner
Dr. Webcureit
RootRepeal- not really sure if i need this

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

Norton is not free and yes a firewall is very important to have, as is having virus protection.

#10 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

Is Norton 2009 a free ware if not which free anti-virus is best? i was using avast 4.8 but was having problems with so i removed it and don't know which one to install try bitdefender,avg or is avast better? also is it important to have a firewall?

I have these programs on my computer right now
Super Anti-spyware
Malware-bytes
Atf-cleaner
Dr. Webcureit
RootRepeal- not really sure if i need this

AntiVir is an excellent free antivirus, with very high detection rates (better than most paid antiviruses) and is also very light on resources.

It's essential to use an inbound firewall, whether an outbound firewall is needed is debatable. There's a great article on whether outbound firewalls have any use.

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

I would not be without an outbound firewall, too many programs want to call home, even legit programs, and I do not see any reason why they should be allowed to. I find it funny that the article linked to above does not even address that benefit of an outbound firewall.

#12 SacKing

SacKing

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

what firewall would you recommend and should i turn my windows firewall off after installing a new one? Is antivir better than avast as in lfaster less sluggish i guess? thank you

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

For a firewall, I use and love ZoneAlarm, a lot of people on here like Comodo. You should absolutely turn off the Windows firewall after installing another one. If you do not want outbound protection, then the Windows firewall is probably just fine. I do not know anything about the virus programs you mentioned so I cannot comment on which is better in that regard. However, virus programs all seem to run differently on different sytems, your best bet is to try them to find out which one works better with your system.

#14 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:10 AM

what firewall would you recommend and should i turn my windows firewall off after installing a new one? Is antivir better than avast as in lfaster less sluggish i guess? thank you

There's really nothing wrong with Windows Firewall, but if you really want outbound protection I've heard good things about Outpost Firewall free (according to this review).

AntiVir and Avast are both fairly light on resources according to AV-Comparatives but on my system AntiVir seems to be faster.

#15 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

Between Avast and Avira I also found Avira to be lighter on my machine. What I did not like about Avast was the user interface. It just took me longer to find menu items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users