Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with opensuse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 isosoclese

isosoclese

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:33 AM

I tried booting off the live cd but my monitor goes on and off standby. I heard the startup sound but there was nothing on the screen and the cd drive didn't sound like it was doing anything.

Btw it is an opensuse 11.1 gnome live cd.

If it matters, I had to pause while I was converting the torrent file

Edited by isosoclese, 04 July 2009 - 01:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:12 AM

Hmmm... Does anything ever appear on the screen? Like the options menu when you first put in the CD? If not, you may have to redownload the iso image, because you can't really do anything if you can't see anything.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

Morning guys, I use openSUSE 11.0 came with Linux Magazine 8 months or so ago. I recently switched desktops from Gnome to KDE stable. It didn't appear to find Amarok player for audio. But, it was my fault as I had the wrong plug-in to the back of my computer. I enjoy the OS, just need to study the Terminal commands more.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 isosoclese

isosoclese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Hmmm... Does anything ever appear on the screen? Like the options menu when you first put in the CD? If not, you may have to redownload the iso image, because you can't really do anything if you can't see anything.

i saw the welcome screen, a screen with some options, then a green screen with "opensuse" and a little loading bar.
about halfway through the loading bar, the screen goes black then my monitor goes on standby then it comes back on but it's still black and i can hear the start up noise then after that it's nothing but a black screen again

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

Alright, if you haven't done so yet, try this: When the menu comes up select Check Installation Media or you could put it in another computer to see if it works. If that checks out, try using the Failsafe Settings and see if that works.

OpenSUSE may just not be compatible with you GPU/Monitor. I tried this on another computer and I ended up with a bunch of colorful lines, but it worked fine when I put it in my laptop.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users