Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help on Custom Build Lockup problems HELP!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 baus3r

baus3r

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

ok my first build was a success, in one day i had the computer up and running and everything is perfect EXCEPT... the fact that it keeps locking up at random times. i have no idea where to start besides the memory and processor. is there any diagnostic tools to use that could easily help me figure out whats happening? i am unaware of any utility to give me all my system info so ill start listing what i put into this machine...

vista 64bit running windows aero theme
2 sticks of corsair 2gb DDR3 memory
500gb seagate drive
asus mobo P5QC
antec midtower case
geforce gtx260
antec pwr supply 650w
soundblaster audigy 5.1

this is a basic list i know, but my problem is really a system freeze... by that i mean no mouse no blue screen no nothing, just a complete halt. im used to windows acting up and im still able to use the mouse but not click anything which sometimes results in a blue screen or an explorer crash. but this is different which makes me believe its hardware related.. PLEASE HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

I would suggest starting with a good memory test. Start here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

This is called Memtest86+ and it is a memory testing utility that can be downloaded as either a bootable iso file that is burned to CD or as a floppy image ( if you have a floppy drive ) and run from the floppy ( of course:) ).

If you have a memory issue, this will find it.

Let us know the results of the testing and we can help from there.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

See if BIOS will list the temperatures of the MB and CPU. Heat can make computers freeze and/or reboot.

There is an application called Speed Fan, available here:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

That can list Temps as well as Fan Speed.

I hope this helps.

DR

#4 baus3r

baus3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

thanks for the quick comments guys, ok so my asus board comes with some decent software to see what my machine is doing... i forgot to mention i have 4 fans in the midtower, 2 blowing in and 2 blowing out.

"See if BIOS will list the temperatures of the MB and CPU. Heat can make computers freeze and/or reboot.

There is an application called Speed Fan, available here:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

That can list Temps as well as Fan Speed."

the MB temp is currently staying around 85-86F and the CPU is at a constant 70F

"This is called Memtest86+ and it is a memory testing utility that can be downloaded as either a bootable iso file that is burned to CD or as a floppy image ( if you have a floppy drive ) and run from the floppy ( of course:) ).

If you have a memory issue, this will find it.

Let us know the results of the testing and we can help from there."

i ran the memtest yesterday actually but i ran the one in windows... ran it overnight actually to 200% check, is this not a good way to test the memory? everything came back with no errors...

thanks again for the help!

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

The vista memory test is sufficient in testing memory so you should be ok with what it had to say.

And with you having tested the memory and your temps seem within a nice range, I would suggest eliminating some hardware piece by piece.

Although I also have another question.... Have you disabled the "onboard sound" before enabling your Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1?

Having multiple sound devices such as multiple sound cards can lead to system lockups.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:38 AM

I don't want to rain on your parade but there were quite a few Very Poor reviews on New Egg. :thumbsup:

Some of them mention the system hanging, check it out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...1&Keywords=

There was 1 fellow that upgraded his BIOS and that solved the problem, so make certain your BIOS is the most current. :huh:

There was also an issue with different manufacturers of memory.

I am running an ASUS myself so I am surprised at the problems some had. There was still 15 good reviews.

DR

#7 baus3r

baus3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

i have disabled the onboard sound, after redoing the power supply i realized that i had not yet disabled it for the second time... since then there has been no crashes or hangups. i will keep this thread going for a few days to record my progress or my lack thereof :thumbsup:

i read the reviews you linked, and my bios is current so lets see if my current state holds and remains strong. thanks again to everyone who has given input, it has really helped me!

#8 baus3r

baus3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

so the problem has returned, hangups again requiring me to restart the computer completely. it happened 3 consecutive times in a row on the same website when trying to click a certain button after filling out a form. it happened twice with google chrome, switched to IE, then it happened again and it was all on the same website. all of these hangups required me to restart and i eventually had to go into my windows 7 partition and finish out the form flawlessy on the unreleased OS. thank God for vista?

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

With so much trouble, I would do a reinstall as soon as possible and if it still gives you a problem I would then either replace the motherboard with the same one or a similar one. :thumbsup:

With all of the computers out there running fine, it should be that way for you too.

I see you started the post on July 3 but when did you buy that motherboard? If possible, you might want to try for an exchange.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but you seem to have been doing everything you could. :huh:

DR

#10 baus3r

baus3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

you have been posting something rigacci, thats much more than nothing. you think it could be the motherboard? i believe i can still return it... i just hate to reinstall everything again. what about the i7 chips? should i just return the core 2 quad and asus board and get a better board and processor?

#11 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

Not sure what the i7 chips are but I wouldn't return the processor. I have never seen a processor be bad right out of the box.

If the exchange wouldn't be hard, you could go for the same board. You "might" get away without reinstalling. If you change the board, you probably will have to reinstall but I would try booting up just to see.

It really s**ks when this happens but a little extra time spent now will mean less aggravation in the future.

If you decide to do a reinstall, try adding the extra components one at a time and then let it go for a day or so. Then install the next one, and so on.

As I believe I mentioned before, I have an ASUS board as well (P4P800-E Deluxe), and mine went dead this past weekend. Power supply took out the board.

So I went on ebay and got another exactly like it. I have all my fingers and toes crossed, for luck, knowing how ebay can be sometimes. I have put everything back together but haven't tried turning it on yet, as I have some other things I have to do at the moment. I'll let you know what happens though. :thumbsup:

Good luck.

DR

#12 baus3r

baus3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

sometimes a reinstall is whats best, so maybe i will try that first but im running out of time for the return deadline. the only problem is that this computer is now my only one as i got rid of my laptop in order to get some money back in my account. so if this desktop is offline then im without a pc, thats the only real concern i have... and its only because i work independently and rely on this machine ;)

hope it goes well with your motherboard, makes me shudder to think thats possible for the power supply to fry the motherboard!

#13 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:32 AM

Something that hasnt been mentioned yet is that you are running 64bit windows. 64bit is unstable. Alot more so than 32bit. Before doing anything else, I would recommend downgrading, because there is really no other advantage to 64bit other than the amount of memory the OS can recognize. 64bit is not faster it is just bigger, and more unstable.

If you can, downgrade, if you cannot... Im going to say your problem is either overheating or a bad part.

I know you were already advised to run a memtest but the one you were advised to is unreliable (in my oppinion). Ultimate boot cd is much better and it has HDD RAM and CPU tests. (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html)

UBCD is a fantastic diag tool. Download the ISO and burn it to a cd.

You must first run the HDD test, and then the RAM test. This is because if the RAM test comes up bad it may be the HDD's fault. If those tests are good I would then run the CPU test.

If all of those components are testing good, I would then direct my attention to the board. Check for popped or bulging caps. Also I think UBCD has a diag for the chipset, you might try that.

If these lockups are happening during gaming sessions, I would look at the game. If you are playing crysis, I will wager that might be the problem. the GTX260 might be submiting.

The main cause of lockups, however, is overheating and just because you have 4 fans doesnt necessarily mean you will not have heat problems. I would get a thermal sensoring device (30-50 bucks) and check every square inch of your pc. check the vcard cpu hdd and ram. Something might be getting too hot.

Also, try increasing your fan speed. Your 4 fans wont do much good if they are operating at 50%. turn them up to 90-100% and see if that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users