Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Frozen or Dead

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zuko

zuko

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

O/S Windows XP Home Edition w SP2--This unit has PS2 ports for both the mouse & keyboard. I purchased both a new mouse & keyboard. The mouse is laser type with a USB to PS2 adapter plug and the keyboard has a PS2 connector. After installation, they both worked but soon the the mouse froze. I rebooted twice and the mouse remains frozen. Dead mouse or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

Plug the mouse in using it's USB plug and see if it works.

The only other way to test is to try a different mouse, or put your mouse into a different computer and test.

If you are using PS2, then the mouse must be plugged into the computer BEFORE you start the computer in order to be recognized. However, you can plug in a USB mouse anytime and it should be recognized if it is working ok.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 zuko

zuko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Plug the mouse in using it's USB plug and see if it works.

The only other way to test is to try a different mouse, or put your mouse into a different computer and test.

If you are using PS2, then the mouse must be plugged into the computer BEFORE you start the computer in order to be recognized. However, you can plug in a USB mouse anytime and it should be recognized if it is working ok.

The mouse is a laser type and is lit and the icon is frozen in the middle of the screen. I put the old mouse back in (which was working before I took it out) and there was no change, the icon remainined frozen in the center of the screen.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

It appears that your new keyboard is conflicting with mouse. Remove your new keyboard and put back old one.
If mouse supports USB, then its better that you plug it in a USB port.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

I put the old mouse back in (which was working before I took it out) and there was no change, the icon remainined frozen in the center of the screen.

Did you reboot? Like I said, you must have a PS2 mouse plugged in to the computer before booting in order for it to work. You cannot plug in a PS2 mouse while the computer is up and running and expect it to work. (you can with a USB mouse, however).
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users