Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude D610 lost charging abilities - not battery issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SusanO13

SusanO13

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

Hello,

My laptop doesn't seem to connect to any power supply anymore. I went to turn it on yesterday, but nothing. I removed and inserted the battery and it worked. Got a battery warning, but it wouldn't recognize the power supply. I then tried to put it on the docking station, but still no power being drawn. It did run off the battery for a while, but now that has died. Is this a motherboard issue or a power supply issue? The AC cord does work, I tested it.

Dell said it's toast, but they may also be looking to sell me a new machine. I use this machine as a supplement to my desktop for design work/presentations. I need to sync my current projects off the drive soon.

I really don't want my laptop to be a really expensive doorstop. Any advice? :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

Last time I dealt with this issue, it was a fried MoBo IE Expensive doorstop issue. It was also a Dell that would no longer power up even though the battery was good or the cord was pklugged in. Sorry. hope someone else can give you a more positive answer........

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

The Latitude D610 uses the "round" power jack which is known to break very easily. If the laptop will run off battery, it is still possible that the board is in good shape but just needs the DC jack replaced on the motherboard.

The thing that gets me is that when plugged into a docking station it would not charge but that could still be caused by the DC jack itself. Although I'm not positive of that part.

If you need to sync your projects, I would find someone else with a similar model laptop and get your battery charged then get your projects and any other valuable data off your laptop. If you can find someone locally that can to the repair of just the DC jack then test for charging capabilities, this may save you from having nothing more than a very expensive paperweight.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

I replace power jacks on Dells pretty much on a continuous basis. Most of the competition charge between $100-$120 labor and ~$15 for the jack depending on model. It is usually a straightforward job unless the motherboard traces are burned/melted/damaged. The OEM jacks are available on Ebay for anywhere from $5 to $10 for most Dells.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users