Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows won't start up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jpat69

jpat69

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

ok so i decided to run safe mode because there was a rogue antivirus installed on my computer and i knew it was still affecting my system even after i removed it using malwarebytes and did multiple anti-spyware and anti-virus scans

i went to msconfig and then went to boot.ini tab and checked the safe mode box

now everytime my computer starts up that screen comes up asking me which mode i want to run windows in and i tried all the modes;safe mode,normal,last known config

but nothing works it just restarts and goes back to the same screen,im assuming its cause the virus must have disabled safe mode from working and i checked the box making my computer start up on safe mode every time it boots up??

wat can i do,i think my computer did not come with the windows installation disk only some toshiba recovery disk which the technical support person told me will reformat my whole drive

but on the recovery disk it does say i can reinstall certain applications,utilities,drivers but i dont know if it can repair the OS without deleting all my files

i think there is a way where i can load my windows cd upon boot-up and it will repair my system without wiping out my files but i dont think my laptop came with it,just the toshiba disc

if anybody has any knowledge of this toshiba recovery dvd please help me with it or if anybody knows how to fix my computer without losing any files

i have a toshiba a104-s4054 with windows xp media center

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

It sounds to me like you may need to reformat and install Windows in a clean installation.

However, if you wish to try a repair install I have included the instructions below. However, not all manufacturer's restore disks allow for this. I am not sure regarding Toshiba's.

Instructions for repair install:

Insert Windows CD. Reboot computer. Allow the computer to boot to Windows CD. When prompted choose "Install Windows" at the first opportunity. Then at the second opportunity choose "REPAIR" (which is hitting the R key). Then let windows do a repair install. Theoretically this will not affect your data or programs, but I suggest making full backups first anyway, as backups are never a bad idea.

Also please note: Not all versions of Windows install CDs have the option for a Repair install. Let us know if that is true in your case.

NOTE: Choosing 'R' at the first opportunity will give you the Recovery Console and this is NOT what you want. You want to choose 'R' at the second opportunity.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 jpat69

jpat69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

ok i think i figured out how to resolve my dillema,i just have to create a boot disk and then rename the boot.ini file to some other name then ill be able to start up windows normally
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...#force_safemode

however im confused on how to create a boot disk for windows xp sp3,by the ways its xp media center if that makes a difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users