Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spontaneous Blue Screen, Repair doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BrewMaster2

BrewMaster2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

Hi guys,

A few days ago I started my computer and it blue-screened with the message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85F9AD9, 0xF898B7A4, 0xF898B4A4)

I had installed XP over the existing 2000 Professional last February, and it has worked well until this popped up.
I hadn't installed any new drivers, programs, or hardware recently.

I tried running chkdsk /r from the repair console. The program found one error. I ran chkdsk /r again, with no errors found. I then used the XP disk to repair the system, and the computer seems to boot normally until it started to display desktop shortcuts. At this point the computer blue screened with the message:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The widows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x340fd48b 0x00015fac4). The system has been shut down.

Now I can restart using safe mode with networking, and that mode seems fully functional, except I can only log on as administrator and other restrictions I assume come with the safe mode.
I found one response on the internet to someone else with this error, and tried:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sfc /scannow

Which resulted in:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.
].

I tried reinstalling XP, but then I had a dual-boot XP/XP system, in which the old XP had the same problems, and the new XP worked fine, except that it had none of my settings (desktop, start-up menus, users etc.)
I removed the second copy of XP by using the control panel>>System>> Advanced to edit boot.ini, removing the second [operating systems] line. I also removed the corresponding WINDOWS folder on the C: drive. The system now seems to be in the same state it was after I tried repairing it.

This is an especially inopportune moment since I am using the computer to search for a job, my daughter is using it to prepare for her first year at college, and my wife is upset that she casn't use the computer to print (the driver apparently wasn't loaded in safe mode).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by BrewMaster2, 03 July 2009 - 03:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hello,

Did you try the things suggested in your first blue screen? You don't indicate that you did.

Have you run a scan on your hard drive to test that it is ok? If not:

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users