Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get my router to work with2 nd computer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JCII

JCII

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

I bought a Belkin router and set up my Lenovo computer using Vista to work with it. The main desktop computer plugs in to the router and works fine it is XP. When I try to use my other laptop computer with XP with a wireless card it sees the rounter and connects but has a message that a certificate is needed. The router has a password that I put. It says something about the name of my network which is Jeff-PC and no certificate.

How do I tell the XP laptop to work with this rounter. Is it a setting in the router. Or is there a certificate I have to add to the computer. Or is there some setting on the XP computer to make it work.

Network Problem.

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you,

Jeff

Edited by The weatherman, 03 July 2009 - 05:58 PM.
Moved from Vista to a more appropriate forum. Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

Surf into the router and check the Wireless Security. Perhaps you have WEP or WPA turned on.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:46 AM

When does it say that you need a certificate? Do you actually connect to the wireless network?

Do you get an IP? To check go to start - run - type cmd and press enter - type ipconfig and press enter

Try pinging the router (default gateway under ipconfig)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users