Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Solver

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stevenc1010

stevenc1010

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

I am trying to solve a problem using the solver in excel. I am close to what I want but I am not sure how to do a certain constraint.

I want for the constraint to be only a couple sizes allowed.

ex. I can't have a 13.5 size wire and a 16.5 wire at the same time. There is to much of a margin with the size. It has to be atleast within 1. So I could use a size 14.5, 15, and 15.5 or a 15, 15.5, 16.

This link has a screen shot, which I thought would be easier than explaining my spreadsheet.
http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddm7njsk_0cbb8tbdv

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Edited by stevenc1010, 03 July 2009 - 04:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

I don't think you can do this in one go as you have more than one possible solution to the problem, and I don't think the SOLVE function can deal with this.

What you could do is break it down into 5 separate SOLVE functions for the different ranges:

13.5, 14.0, 14.5
14.0, 14.5, 15.0
14.5, 15.0, 15.5
15.0, 15.5, 16.0
15.5, 16.0, 16.5

These could be saved as different macros.

Then, once you have your 5 different solutions you could choose which one is best (presumably by selecting which one has the lowest CM value).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users