Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System "Security" 4.51

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

Looks like a friend of mine contracted a nice piece of malware. I have similar symptoms to this post, but I can't boot into safe mode.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...#39;re+infected

Windows blue screens every time I try to boot into safe mode. I'm not sure if it's related to the problem or not, but one of the first things that it says is to scan the computer for viruses. Good idea, I suppose!

Am I going to have to use the Windows setup repair tool? Any ideas?

Thanks!

YHB318

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

What happens in normal mode? Can you access Task Manager?
Do you have access to another computer and a flash drive or the ability to burn a CD?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 YHB318

YHB318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

Looks like the computer kills any process that starts without its consent. I've tried to open a command prompt, and it kills it immediately. Same thing with task manager, or any application, really. I do have access to working computers, flash drives, cd/dvd drives. I think I see your idea - where can I get a good anti-virus, or anti-malware, boot disk?

I wish safe mode worked. That would make things a lot easier! :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

Ultimate Boot CD has a few scan tools on it
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
There's also the Vipre Rescue disk
http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 YHB318

YHB318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

Thanks. I'll try the UBCD tomorrow. This PC is so bad I don't think VIPRE will be able to install. Looks like the definitions are old, hope it works!

#6 YHB318

YHB318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Well, I finally got back around to working on this one. I had to pull out the hard drive and put it in another PC. AVG cleaned a lot of stuff off that drive, and now that it's back in the original PC, it looks like I'm through the worst of it. HiJackThis finds a bunch of stuff that I can't get rid of - it says An Administrator disabled access to edit the registry, or something like that. I think I remember how to get around that. Thanks for the ideas Garmanma - I wish I had the UBCD about 10 years ago!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users