Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 raj29

raj29

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:02 AM

Presently I have 1GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM installed on my system. But I want install 1GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM - My question is that can I expect a speed improvement of my system by this upgrade. :thumbsup:
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:04 AM

Do you mean an extra 1GB of RAM? If so, it depends on the requirements of the Operating System you have and the software you normally use.

The greatest improvement will occur if the system is currently running out of memory and utilizing the paging file on the hard drive. A process which does not provoke paging will not directly benefit from extra memory, as it doesn't need it. If you notice lagging performance and the hard drive is active at those times, extra memory will likely be very helpful. (Although a malware infection or a background virus scan can cause similar symptoms.)

A further potential benefit is if your OS is a later one that uses pre-fetch, more memory allows more potentially needed modules to be pre-loaded into memory, so this may further reduce delays due to hard drive access when those modules are called for.

If you simply plan to replace the existing 1GB of RAM with faster memory, it will depend if your motherboard supports the faster RAM. If it does, memory data transfer will be slightly faster, but it won't make a big difference to the overall performance so you'd notice it.

Edited by Platypus, 03 July 2009 - 07:12 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

I have got my answer. Thank you very much Platypus for helping me. :thumbsup:
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users