Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Folder in Local Disk C:

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ZombieDisko

ZombieDisko

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:51 AM

Hello,

When I click on "My Computer" and then on "Local Disk C:" I have an oddly named folder.

The name of the folder is 56e35b9f1684e9418c344fe4c62fa0

Inside of it there are two more folders. One named "amd64" and another named "i386" Each folder has the same files in it.

Can anyone tell me what this folder is, and what it is for? Is it from a Windows update? Is it safe to delete?

I am running Windows XP SP3.

Thanks for any input. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:15 AM

I had something similar on my computer at the office. I'm almost certain it is from a Windows update. I deleted it and haven't noticed any adverse effects.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

Yes its left over from a Windows update. The amd64 subfolder contains update for 64 bit Windows and i386 contains updates for 32 bit Windows.
Typically you should restart computer and then delete that folder.

#4 ZombieDisko

ZombieDisko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll restart and delete that folder. I thought it was from an update since it appeared after a Windows update but I wanted to make sure. I appreciate the input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users