Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 doulikewaffles

doulikewaffles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:36 AM

I'm a noob when it comes to talking about hardware for computers. I'm trying to figure out that if I bought a processor off newegg.com could I just stick it right in to my motherboard for my desktop computer and it work just fine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

Well, no, you can't just buy any processor and have it work in any motherboard. You have to find out what processors will work in the motherboard you have and buy one to suit it.

The first step is to identify the system board and locate a specification to determine what processors are compatible. Brandname manufacturers like Dell, HP etc publish their own specifications - if the system is generic, it will depend on the mainboard manufacturer. The brand and model is usually stenciled on the board, may be displayed at boot or in the BIOS setup screens, or can be found using a diagnostic utility like Everest Home:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

(This is an old version that may not understand all recent hardware, but will still report brand & model strings.)

Edited by Platypus, 03 July 2009 - 07:28 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users