Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to do full system backup?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 caseycm2009

caseycm2009

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

Windows XP 2002, service pak 3:
I finally bought an external drive--Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Desk. I want to do full system backups from time to time as well as incremental backups of data files. I do not know which is the best software to use:
1. Seagate software -- DiscWizard?
2. Windows backup and restore: Seagate Help says: The Microsoft backup utility available in Windows XP and Vista. For more information on copy-and-paste, Drag-and-drop and the Microsoft Backup utility you can refer to the Microsoft Support article on the topic.
Seagate does not provide support for the Microsoft backup utility.

**** Does this disclaimer just mean that I can't call Seagate for help or that I just flat out can't do it to a Seagate disc?
3. The Lenovo ThankVantage backup and restore that came installed on my Thinkpad.

My assumption was the SeaGate external drive would just act as another disk and I can point any backup, restore utility to it, but the disclaimer by Seagate makes me wonder.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me. I really need to start backing up.
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:48 AM

For the "full system" backup I would use the Seagate software. I haven't used it myself but I've heard it's okay.

Windows backup will work on your Seagate drive. It's just that you can't call Seagate for help.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users