Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another (but different) system restore question...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stvntylr

stvntylr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:41 PM

My system drive, which is an approx 10 Gig partition out of about 50 Gigs of hard drive, had recently become quite full - over 80%. As anything over 75% makes me uncomfortable I started looking inside for the culprit. Checked all the usual stuff- temp files, IE cache, logs, etc. to no avail-nothing significant there.

Disk properties still said roughly 7.7 Gig used and 1.9 Gig free.

Doc and Settings folder occupies 175 Mb, Program Files occupies 650 Mb, and Windows folder occupies about 1.23 Gig. System Volume Information (pagefile) is 768 Mb as min, 768 Mb as max and therefore should always be 768 Mb.

When I ran Overdisk to see what the hog was, it gave me a used space which roughly agreed with the sum of those numbers if you add the 12% allocated for system restore which does not show in Overdisk.

Doing the math, and being generous with the numbers by rounding up still leaves a substantial amount of disk space which SHOULD be free but which windows insists is not.

Exasperated, but faced with my final option, I disabled system restore and restarted. Disk used space is now at about 69% as one would expect after deleting the ~12% worth of precious restore files. This still leaves a few Gig unaccounted for.

I ran the defrag again (Vopt XP v7) and lo and behold, it reports that nearly 2 Gig of disk space is STILL occupied by system restore files. Checked windows and it says Sys Restore IS disabled.

One thing I should say also is that a few weeks ago I reinstalled XP (I won't go into the reasons for that here) by installing XP, with SP1 slipstreamed, over the top of the old installation so as not to lose any of my valuable data. The OS overwrites itself quite nicely I thought, only producing a few new profiles with suffix ID's attached to them. OS works fine otherwise.

HOW DO I DELETE THESE STUBBORN HOLDOUTS OF THE PREVIOUS OS's RESTORE FILES?!?

Thanks in advance,

stvntylr

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:45 AM

Hi what you must do is put switch restore back on, then after you have restart create another restore point, then you go to accessories,systems tools, disk cleanup run that. and when it opens you will see a button for other options, click on bottom and that will open up your restore folder click to cleanup all but your most recent restore point click ok, then on disk cleanup click ok again. and that should cleanup your old restore points. then do a defrag to tidy up your files. that should give you a bit more disk space.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users