Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Not Able to Print

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CommMajor101

CommMajor101

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hello,
My dad and I both have Mac's. When we try to print from our family's network printer sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We deleted the printer from my computer and now can't remember how to add it. So, 1) How do I add a network printer to my MacBook and 2) Why are we having spontaneous connections to the printer and how do we fix that? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:37 AM

Mac 101: Connect Your Printer
Adding a printer to your printer list in Mac OS X
Mac OS X 10.5 Help Adding a network printer
Troubleshooting printing issues in Mac OS X

#3 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

Yes, we've read and tried all those things, that was our first resource. None of those articles work. Any other ideas? Thanks.

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:38 AM

If it isn't the printer or the Mac it has to be something else then. Router changing the IP addresses? Otherwise I'm all out of ideas.

#5 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

yeah we're thinking it has something to do with the router changing IPs, How do we fix it so that the computers will pick up on the new IPs?

#6 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

That happened to me too. I called my ISP guy who walked me thru setting up the router/computers with the right IP addresses. Those guys do it everyday & it works again.

Edited by Twin B, 06 July 2009 - 09:58 AM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

yeah we're thinking it has something to do with the router changing IPs, How do we fix it so that the computers will pick up on the new IPs?

Good question, one that I don't have a good answer for.
When my Mac kept loosing connections with our network printer I manually added it using the instructions below. It's for a printer wired to a Windows printer though and I don't know if it could be used for a Mac wired printer. It might be a give you an idea in connecting your printer to the Macs, maybe not.

For my current wireless printer (Canon MP980) I used the supplied CD to set up my MBP (OS X 10.5.7) for wireless printing and one of the instructions in my previous post with links to add the printer to my other Mac, a PBG4 (OS X 10.4.11). Both times using a Linksys router, a WRT 54G v6.

Good luck in connecting your printer. Sorry for not being much of a help. Maybe somebody with better knowledge in networking will chime in to help you better.

1. Open Printer Setup Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities).
2. Mac OS X 10.4.x users: Choose Add Printer from the Printers menu, then hold the Option key while clicking the "More Printers" button.
Mac OS X 10.3.x users: Hold the Option key down while choosing Add Printer from the Printers menu.
3. Choose Advanced from the first pop-up menu.
4. Choose Windows Printer via SAMBA from the Device pop-up menu.
5. In the Device Name field, type the name you would like to use for this printer in Mac OS X.
6. In the Device URI field, use one of the following formats to link to the printer:

smb://user:password@workgroup/server/sharename
smb://user:password@server/sharename
smb://workgroup/server/sharename
smb://server/sharename

Notes: "user" is the name of a Windows user who has privileges to use the printer. "password" is the password of that Windows user. "workgroup" is the name of the Windows workgroup to which the computer sharing the printer belongs. "server" is the name of the computer sharing the printer or its IP address. "sharename" is the shared Windows printer's share name.

Tip: You don't need a "workgroup" when specifying the IP address of the computer (such as when the printer is on a different subnet), or if your Mac belongs to the same Windows (SMB) workgroup.

7. Choose the appropriate PPD or printer driver from the Printer Model pop-up menu.
8. Click Add.

#8 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

thank you buddyme2 and twinb - i'll try those suggestions out and let cha know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users