Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts once windows screen loader starts

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

I get this message when I stop the computer from restarting

"stop: 0x0000007b (0xba4c3528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Can anyone help out? Computer hasn't worked for about 2 months now... >.>

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Normally a 0x7B error is "Inaccessible_boot_device" meaning that either the hard drive has bad sectors and is dying or you have a driver issue with your ide controller.

Try booting in Safe mode and see if that works.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

safe mode and vga doesn't work. I did a repair install of xp prof before because my hard drive did something funny (became unrecognizable, so I used testdisk). But it doesn't seem like it did anything.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

I have two thoughts.

First, I would find out the manufacturer of your hard drive and download their testing utility. Run that against your hard drive and check for errors.

I would also download memtest86+ from here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso Run this against the memory in your computer for errors.

One of these two should ( from what you are describing ) find an error. From there you should know what the problem is with your computer.

My gut feeling is a failed hard drive that will need to be replaced and Windows XP will need to be reinstalled.

Hope this helps,

Edited by techextreme, 02 July 2009 - 06:45 PM.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

I've done both of those tests recently and found no problems.

The problem may also be that I dug a deeper hole in my computer issues. Maybe I did, I don't know for sure though, but I did do a windows xp repair, and I did dual boot with kubuntu. I think I messed the boot loader up, because there are now two choices to pick from "1" and "Windows XP Professional" I don't know what "1" is and I have enter into it but nothing happened only computer restarts over again.

Let me try the seagate tools again. I'll let you know from my findings.

#6 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

All HDD passed.

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

Well, the little bit I know about the Grub Bootloader is that once you install a Linux using Grub, it is the default bootloader and will allow your to boot both Linux and Windows from the Grub Bootloader.

You may want to ask the linux guys this question and you may also want to look at the Kubuntu forum as there are many similar posts like yours stating similar issues.

Not that I don't want you to look here for advice as I know the people here are very much able to help you, I just think it may be worth a look.

Sorry I'm not more help,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

<<I think I messed the boot loader up, because there are now two choices to pick from "1" and "Windows XP Professional" I don't know what "1" is and I have enter into it but nothing happened only computer restarts over again.>>

Sooo...are you saying that the system boots properly into the install labeled XP Pro?

Louis

#9 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

I fixed the grub bootloader, I can get into linux now. But I can't get into windows XP Pro. I tried it again, but it does the same thing.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

Do a repair install of XP.

If that doesn't do it...move valued files to the linux install and do a clean install of XP.

You can't get in currently...it's time to try the above.

Do you have a MS XP install CD?

I know that you said previously that you did a repair install...but a lot of posters are not sure what a repair install is, in Microsoft circles.

Louis

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#11 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

Last time I did a windows repair install, I used an sp3 disk (which I got from the internet...) But I do have a windows xp disk (sp1). After I repair installed with the sp3. Nothing happened. Now I'm trying to repair install with the sp1 disk, but the choice to repair install does not appear, it only wants to do a full clean install, is this normal?

I remember I successfully repair installed, but I kept trying to type in the product key (from the sp1 disk) nothing happened, so I kept windows inactive. I still couldn't boot in. Again, I would like to try to use the sp1 disk to repair, but it won't let me use it.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

Users cannot use a CD with an earlier SP-level...to repair install XP or to run the sfc /scannow command on XP.

The simple way to fix that...is update the install CD and use nLite to assist you. It's not like this is the last time that you will ever need to use one of those two tools on your system.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Icrontic Blog Archive Slipstreaming Windows Easy - http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstreaming_windows_easy

Louis

#13 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

Haha I have a new problem now. I did a repair install and now windows is trying to install but... "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD is needed." I keep on burning a new CD at slower speeds, but nothing seems like it's working...

I don't even know the path it automatically gives me this path: "GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386" I keep trying out all my cds and nothing works.

#14 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755 it's worth a look.

Hope it helps,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#15 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

I did check it out but I can't do anything to the registry, until I finish installing windows. I'm in the middle of the installation and it is asking me this. I've been trying everything else out.

I even made a new slipstreamed cd and then re-repaired windows xp, but the same message shows up. I guess I need to buy a new hard drive and fresh install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users