Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop-Down menus with FrontPage '03

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

Trying to figure out if I can do this with front page, and having little success, other than being pointed to a lot of JavaScript - which is something I don't know how to do yet, so it's beyond my level for now.

Group One Documents<-- click this to get the menu options
Document One Link
Document Two Link
Document Three Link

It's just one instance of a popdown menu, and the header "Group One Documents" is already text inside a table.. But I still don't think this is as complicated as the MSDN instructions I found (whose Front Page tutorial involved a suspiciously large amount of hand-coding for a WYSIWYG web editor).

I thought this was something WYSIWYG editors like FrontPage were able to do for you... I thought I was able to do that in Dreamweaver, back when I was in college. But work doesn't use DW, and I don't have the money for my own liscence. <headdesk>

Can someone point me to a tutorial that would show me which options I'm failing to find and use to implement this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

Do you mean a combox?

WYSIWYG editors largely can only allow you to drag and drop elements onto a page. Javascript is actual programming, and drag and drop coding is sort of meaningless outside of toy applications like Alice.

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

Close, but I need the header, and each option in the box has to be linkable.

<select>
<option><a href="http://www.volvo.com">Volvo</a></option>
</select>

Didn't work when I attempted it. If I'm going to do something like that, it needs to be more like the navigation on, say, thinkgeek, where each option opens a new window, or takes you to a new location in the same window. I took a look at that source and tried the same tag edit...

<select>
<option value="http://www.volvo.com">Volvo</option>
</select>

I need the whole <select name="p" onchange="window.location=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value; return true" class="smalldropdown"> line, too?

Edited by DnDer, 02 July 2009 - 04:40 PM.

#4 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

maybe your after something like one of these

EDIT: It does use javascript... but it has a nice tutorial to go with it.

Edited by KamakaZ, 02 July 2009 - 05:46 PM.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users