Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nerwnas

nerwnas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Good afternoon

My notebook is Acer 8930G and my network adapter is an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 and i used to have as a wired router a Dlink 524T, which i changed with a Netgear DG834 during my many attempts to resolve in vain my internet problems as i did with my ethernet cables.

About a week ago,suddenly my notebook ceased to have any internet connection and my status varied from local only to limited connectivity while both the green and orange lights on the adapter came and went continiously.
After a casual scan with Malwarebytez antispyware,it turned out that i had 9 infections from the trojan BHO.After innumerable efforts and formats,i somehow cleaned(so it seems without being 100% certain) my PC.The only thing is that the problem persists with the connection,while two other computers that share the network with me didn't have any problems whatsoever.

Is it possible that my ethernet card was damaged by the trojan?If anyone could help me out or at least enlighten me,i would be much obliged!!!!

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rohit.r.i

rohit.r.i

• Banned
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

did you try any steps to correct the problem??

#3 nerwnas

nerwnas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

I did some things following steps from other posts but all inconclusive....

#4 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

is there any response when you plug in the cable? it is unlikely that a virus would have damaged the hardware, although it is possible that it released the ip address or edited the MAC address, if you plug in the cable to a different computer then does it work, and if you try a different cable in that computer, does anything happen.

If anyone has been changing settings on your router it is possible to assign an IP address using the router, so that every time a particular computer requests an IP address it gets the same one, i find this prevents good network communication, so you could try undoing this, otherwise there is an equivalent settings in windows, but it must be undone on both the router and windows to make this work.

You can try opening network connections, open the properties of the connection and in the 'the connection uses the following...", click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click properties. then highlight the obtain an IP addres automatically and obtain a DNS server automatically boxes, click OK and try again, if that doesn't work, try the following.

Open command prompt as an Administrator, type "ipconifg /all" without the quotes, then see whether it says there is an ip address, if not, type "ipconfig /release" again without the quotes, it should have a think, then type "ipconfig /renew" and it should again have a pause. once this is finished, try accesing the network again.

post again when you know if either of these worked.

Elliot

Edited by frank_cheese, 06 July 2009 - 10:21 AM.

Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users