Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus P5ND BIOS won't detect WDC 1 TB SATA HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ksunny

ksunny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

My Asus P5ND Bios refuses to detect my new Western Digital 1TB SATA drive.
Attempted so far:
Tried different SATA ports (Mobo has 4)
Tried different Power cables and SATA cables
Checked the BIOS settings for SATA IDE (all enabled) and RAID (all disabled). I'm not trying to set up raid, just a normal standalone SATA drive.
Flashed the BIOS to the latest version (1101)
Tried updating the chipset driver to version 15.24. This caused XP to stop loading and led to a 12-hour spiral of doom yesterday. Several failed re-installs and two clean installs later, XP is up and running, and reads my other SATA drives (2 HDD, 1 optical). Also updated XP to SP3. But neither BIOS nor XP will read the 1 TB drive.

RIG:
Intel Quad core Q6600, 2GB DDR2
ASUS P5ND MoBo
Geforce 8800GT
XP Pro SP2 (just updated to SP3 but that didn't help)
Two existing hard drives, both WDC 500 GB SATA
New (undetected) HDD: WDC Caviar Green 1 TB
Two LiteOn optical drives, one IDE DVD-ROM and one SATA DVDRW

Any help would be deeply appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

The IDE needs to be enabled
The SATA needs to be enabled
It needs to be set to Treat SATA as IDE or Use SATA as IDE
The RAID needs to be disabled
AHCI needs to be disabled [unless you intend to manually install the SATA drivers]

If all that is done the drive should work fine

If you are using it as a second drive & the problem is it isn't showing in My Computer it is because the disk isn't formatted.

Open the Control Panel
Double click Administrative Tools
Double click Computer Management
Click Disk Management
The drive should be listed
Right click on it
Click Format.

Once it is formatted it will show in My Computer & be usable.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

I know this might seem like it's dumb to ask but, are you using the supplied sata cable that came with the new WD hard drive?

If you are, did you connect the 4 pin power connector to the drive?

My reason for asking is I have seen this where people have installed Western Digital drives using the supplied sata cable with that massive end and did not connect a power connector to the drive.

If you are not using the supplied WD sata cable, then I'm sure you connected a standard Sata cable and some type of power and this entire post can be disregarded.

Hope this helps in some form or another,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 ksunny

ksunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

@techextreme: The HDD didn't come with a cable.. I bought a barebones drive from TigerDirect. But I had a few SATA cables lying around from previous HDDs, and one that came with my MoBo. Tried all of them. Also tried the power cables that were connected to my other drives, since those drives are being detected. It still wouldn't show up. Thanks though! It's always good to check the basics.

@fairjoe: I don't see any options in my BIOS settings to treat SATA as IDE, but during startup the BIOS says "Detecting IDE Drives" and then goes on to list all 4 SATA ports. Whichever port I connect the new 1TB drive to shows up as "None", while the other three show up just fine. So I figure it's already treating them as IDE drives. SATA is enabled, RAID is disabled. I don't remember seeing any AHCI options, but I will check for that specifically. I checked disk mgmt earlier, and it doesn't show up there.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll check the AHCI setting.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

If your other drives are showing OK your settings have to be correct.

If the new drive isn't being detected, & you tried it in place of one of the other HD's, I would return it to TD as defective.

I quit buying from TigerDirect bscause of how much DOA stuff I got.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 ksunny

ksunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

Thanks! I suspected it might be DOA, but there was always the possibility my BIOS was having trouble with a 1TB, as my other drives (which i also bought from TD) are 500GB and they installed fine. So I just wanted to eliminate that angle.

So where do you buy your gear now? Just curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users