Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cybertron and iBuypower computers for $600??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steven16

steven16

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

I have been investigating many new computers lately, but the two that stuck out for me were these:

CybertronPC X-CRUISER2 CANN2120 Gaming PC - Athlon X2 7750 2.70GHz, 4GB, 500GB, DVDRW, 9500GT, Vista Home Premium 64, Red
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2658

iBuypower Gamer Power 506 Gaming PC - AMD Athlon X2 7750, 4GB, 500GB, DVDRW, 9500GT 1GB, 580W, MS Office 2007 Trial, Vista Home Premium 64
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2658

The graphics cards are great, the processors good, everything seems to be good about them. But they're both selling for only $600 and I'm wondering if these are some sort of scam? :)

Also, since I want to have options, any information regarding other computers like the above would be helpful ; here are some specs i want:

Use: gaming, schoolwork, music
Budget $400-$800 (or less :blink: )
RAM : 3gb and up
Processor: 2.6 ghz and up
6 or more usb ports
Good graphics card (preferably NVidia Geforce 9500 or better)
Hard drive space: 250gb and up
The os doesn't really matter, preferably a windows or maybe linux (I most likely will be putting xp on it anyway)

I am looking for a computer that will last a long time and I'm open to hearing about computers that you have and what is good/bad about them

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

<<I am looking for a computer that will last a long time...>>

You are chasing a mirage :blink:.

Define "long time".

Does that mean you just want a system that will run forever? Most will, with a little insightful owner care. Inability to do the job...is not why most of us move from one system to another, IMO.

The hardware side of computing is in a constant state of accelerating flux. Systems which were last year's prizes...are this year's "let's get rid of this inventory", even moreso for the components of those systems.

I don't even consider myself a person that's hung up on new systems...but I can see where solid-state drives, video cards, CPUs and all sorts of other things...are going to be very different in their roles within 2 years (at the most).

My point: The system will last...but your desire for it won't :wacko:. We all like "shiny, new toys" and some of those toys turn out to be improved versions of their predecessors...for certain users.

Ask gamers :).

What do you intend to do on this system that you want to "last a long time"?

The only suggestion I can have for such...don't buy a system, build it. You will provide yourself with more options for the future...and you just may invest enough of yourself that you really will enjoy the system, maintain it properly...and enable it to "last a long time."

Louis

I used to be an auditor/accountant...and I always remember that retailers of any sort...exist to make profits by overpricing (relative to cost) and relying on the unwillingness of consumers...to educate themselves. If you want a real estimate of how long you might expect the value you invest in something to last...just ask yourself when the next model/iteration is likely to appear...it may be soon :). So I suggest not keying on "last a long time" and focus on "this year".

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2009 - 03:34 PM.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

I see the iBuypower has a NIC but does not list the brand MotherBoard.

The Cybertronic has a Foxconn MotherBoard (not too bad) but it does not list a NIC, which is unusual.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users