Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get NT off my old work computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 secretpink

secretpink

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hi,

I have an old laptop computer that a company I used to work for let me keep. It is running Windows NT and I don't have any administrator rights on it. I can't add/ remove programs or anything.

How can I get all of this off. It is a Compaq laptop. I have the windows XP disks from my computer at home and I would just like to be able to put that on this laptop?

It also says when you go to login "Novell Client for Windows"

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks!

Edited by secretpink, 06 July 2005 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

It's certainly possible to remove the NT op system by reformatting your hard drive, but you can't just install a version of XP that is already been used and validated on any other computer.

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:40 PM

If you want to just regain access to administrative rights, there are programs that can be used to boot into and it will reset the password for administrator. Google reset passwords windows nt.

Alternatively If the computer is worth it, you might want to spring for a new copy of XP, home version should be adequate for most uses.

#4 secretpink

secretpink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:36 PM

Ok, I googled it and they all cost money. Is this something I am going to have to pay for or do you think if I search hard I can find it for free.

Also, my XP says I can have 3 computers with the program. Why would I have to buy another one?

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:04 PM

Wait....before you even think of putting XP on your computer, besides the other comments... what is the model(example -Compaq Armada e500 ) of your computer. How big is your hard disk...how much memory do you have? It might not be even worth putting XP on a system if it is really old. 98 might be a better alternative.

Let us know.
JC

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:46 PM

Try here:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

I have used this to get into a few systems where the password was lost (computers donated to my kid's daycare) And I don't even know if it will work with older versions of NT anyway. But it is free, so you are not out anything.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:55 PM

Good link, groovicus.

secretpink, you also mentioned this -

It also says when you go to login "Novell Client for Windows"

I don't know about older versions of the Novell Client(it has been a few years since I have used it), but with the newer versions, you have to click the workstation only check box to get into the local NT/2000/XP account.
JC

#8 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:45 AM

Petter Nordahl-Hagen has written a free Windows NT/2000/XP offline password editor:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd

This is a utility to (re)set the password of any user that has a valid (local) account on your Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 system, by modifying the encrypted password in the registry's SAM file.
You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot off a floppy disk or CD. The boot-disk includes stuff to access NTFS partitions and scripts to glue the whole thing together.

If you do have a multi-user license of Windows XP then there is no reason you can't install it. Also if you have a retail version, as opposed to an OEM version, and have retired the other computer, Microsoft will generally allow you to transfer the license, tho it involves a telephone conversation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users