Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computert won't start up, I think the motherboard is fried

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:47 AM

My mother moved to a new home, when she got to the new home her computer would not boot up at all

When everything is connected as the computer should be, then the green light is a steady flashing light.

I removed all the components that the PSU plugs into, this way I can go through each piece that the PSU supplies power to, and the light then becomes solid Green. This tells me the PSU itself is fine, unless im wrong

I then plugged in the 4 pin wiring into the mobo, and the light stayed green, then when I plugged in the 20 pin connection, the light goes out completely. and will turn back on if i unplug it.

Does this green light actually tell the story of whether or not the mobo could be all done

In that case, is it just worth it to replace the computer, as opposed to replacing just the motherboard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:08 AM

What is the brand/model of your computer. This kind of flashing signals are hardware problem codes and are different for each company and model.
Have you checked the manual that came with the PC?

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:37 AM

If you are plugging in connections & unplugging them with the power supply plugged in to a wall outlet if the motherboard wasn't fried it probably is now.

If the green light doesn't come on when the main power connector & the 4 pin CPU power connector are plugged in to the motherboard I would suspect the pow2er supply of being bad.

The only way ro know which is bad for sure is somply try a different power supply.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for the help so far

The Make and model is an HP Pavilion Model # a1113w

I will have to double check about the 4 pin, it was late when I posted that - If im correct in my memory that when I hook up the 4pin and then the power supply the light stays green, but does not stay green when the 20 pin is connected.

If I need to try a new power supply, I can just do that externally before I mount the new power supply into the case?

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

You may try HP's troubleshooting guide when Green light flashes:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...uct=502024#N515

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users