Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and Avira error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hitpro

hitpro

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

hi

Yesterday I burned a disc using Nero. when i inserted the disc back to see if it was good, i got the BSOD. i rebooted(after removing the disc) and all seemed good. well, today i booted up the computer and as it was booting i heard a beep. this is the beep i get when Avira antivirus finds a problem. once the pc fully booted and my desktop appeared i saw that Avira said that my "Reason.exe" (a music program) was a trojan. at the same time i got a windows message that the system recovered from a serious porblem (or something to that effect). i clicked 'ok' too soon, therefore i couldn't get the exact wording.

any suggestions as to what happened?

oh, and i'm running XP home.

thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

Well...the following probably summarizes why the alert appeared: http://www.prevx.com/filenames/10538028456...REASON.EXE.html

In general...acquiring any program by torrent...is a definite security risk (even though many take such). A site that advocates acquiring any version of a program via torrent...would be suspect in my world.

I find it strange that the Wiki reference on this program...makes no mention at all of the security concerns of some. The implication to me is that the torrent version is suspect

As for the BSOD...malware often can contribute to such.

I cannot say for sure that this program is malware...but, from what I see...I would not be installing it on any system I have. There are too many programs which probably perform the same operations...and which have no questions raised.

Worth reading, I think: http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/security/trojan.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 July 2009 - 10:17 AM.

#3 hitpro

hitpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

sorry if my post was misleading. the program i have is not the one you linked me to. my program is Propellerhead Reason, a program i use to make music. and no antivirus program i have or had said that it was a virus.

i am hesitant to shut down my computer because of my last experience with a BSOD. at any rate, i will reboot again and if i get those errors again i will note exactly what they say.

thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

Apologies for that first link...I must have been interested in watch WNBA on TV more than I was in noting that the reference was different...it happens, my apologies.

But my comments about torrents were not based on that link...most of the references to this program indicate that users acquire same via torrent download.

Example: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=r...mp;oq=&aqi=

Disregarding that first link...my comments still stand.

I also use the Avira Free AV program...I have great confidence in its ability to function and I've not known it to set off on false positives. If you think it's not functioning properly...there are other programs to try/utilize, as well as online scanners.

As for your hesitancy to "shut down" your system...that's why backups have been recommended since using computers became popular.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users