Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing a video card...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stghm

stghm

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

I am trying to decide between a Dual GTX 260 Core 216 solution, or a GTX 285 possibly adding another one later if I need to. I couldn't find any direct comparisons, but any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:41 AM

Hi stghm

I personally have no experience with either card but why not checkout Toms Hardware at :

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-...chmarks,54.html

Or even HardOCP:

http://www.hardocp.com

Both of these sites do great comparisons of GFX cards and other computer harwdare.

Hope this helps

High500

#3 case.bolt

case.bolt

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

i'm a big fan of this site for GPU advice: http://gpureview.com

you can compare and contrast individual benchmarks form known cards on the fly, and they generally have fairly accurate pricing info as well.

#4 stghm

stghm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

Thanks! I'll check those out!

I like the gpureview a lot. Seems it'd be best to go with a single GTX 285 for now and add another one if I need to later.

Edited by stghm, 02 July 2009 - 04:10 PM.

#5 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

Nice case.bolt, I will add that to my favs also :thumbsup: Thanks!

Glad you made a choice stghm! I gather your motherboard supports SLI configuration? for later on that is!

High500

#6 case.bolt

case.bolt

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, the folks at GPUReview.com really know their stuff when it comes to video cards. lots of information there, you can learn a lot about video cards form cruising their forums/comments sections. I stumbled across the site about two years ago when i was getting ready to build this computer (my baby beast :thumbsup: ) and have used the site many times since.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

GPUReview, HardOCP, and Toms Hardware are some of the best sites for video card information. Choosing the best card based on its design specs and synthetic benchmarks is generally not a good idea. Real world testing is also very important as some cards may have an excellent design and good synthetic marks, but due to driver or game issues, it may not perform as expected.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users