Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help (easy and short)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gEMx

gEMx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

I had to reinstall windows because my system crashed. WHen it came time to create a partition i partitioned the wrong thing. there were two choices:

1. a partition i had previously made (my d drive prior to crash)

2. unpartitioned space (my main drive which was my c drive)

i partitioned the second option. There was 177gb of space and my c drive had maybe 50gb of stuff, probably less, and i made a partition of 100gb.

i realized my mistake when i ran windows and was unable to retrieve any of my old files. I formatted the 100gb as was instructed by prompt.

Is there any way i can get my old files back? Maybe by deleting the new partition or by any other method? I really only need some key files which are probably less than 100mb in size total. Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

You could try a data recovery application such as Recuva.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 gEMx

gEMx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

i tried the program but its not very useful for me because it cant recover anything thats been overwritten. btw do you think if i erase the partition i made that my old files will be back?

Edited by gEMx, 02 July 2009 - 11:14 AM.

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

Hi!

I'm afraid that trying to recover data from a repartitioned hard drive is really difficult (if not impossible to do).

btw do you think if i erase the partition i made that my old files will be back?

I'm afraid not. If the files had been erased due to repartitioning, then they won't be able to be recovered by deleting a partition. It would probably only make the data recovery harder.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

If the space where your files once were, is overwritten by new files (which appears to be the case), data recovery is nearly impossible using software tools.
If your data was really really really important, you may consult professional data recovery people. They charge huge amount of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users