Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use Safe Mode with no keyboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Barnaby Todger

Barnaby Todger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

I'm running Vista Home Premium. I was away from home for four weeks and, when I came home, installed a raft of Windows Updates at the same time. Now I can't boot up.

The complicating factor is that, when I get to the Windows Recovery window that invites me to enter Safe Mode, neither the keyboard nor the mouse is working -- so I can't select Safe Mode. The PC counts down, goes blank and then dumps. Every time. I know the keyboard is working when I power on because I can enter SETUP -- but it isn't working later in the process.

I can press F8 as long and as often as I like. Nothing happens.

Nor can I use the Vista installation disk in the CD-ROM drive to boot from, even when I've used SETUP to specify first boot from CD-ROM. The system ignores it.

So: how do I get to Safe Mode with no keyboard and no mouse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hi, in the bios you need to set usb mouse support and usb keyboard support to enable. Then your mouse and keyboard should work.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Barnaby Todger

Barnaby Todger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:51 AM

You are a genius. Thank you.

#4 Barnaby Todger

Barnaby Todger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

I still have a problem. Now the mouse and keyboard both work and I can click on Safe Mode -- or any of the other options that F8 brings up -- but the computer simply hangs (or, sometimes, crashes). Whichever option I choose, I cannot get the PC to boot. Is there anything I can do?

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

Hi, have a look at this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ If your PC will not start this will be the last option for you.
MCP
MSDST

#6 Barnaby Todger

Barnaby Todger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

Okay, well, I tried that but it simply wouldn't work. So now I've installed a new Hard Drive and reinstalled Vista on it, and my old drive is E:

The only problem I currently know for sure I still have is that I simply cannot get my old Outlook messages, which are on Drive E, into Outlook on Drive C, so I can't see them -- and I need to. Is there some method for importing an existing Outlook 2007 message file into a new install of Outlook 2007?

#7 Barnaby Todger

Barnaby Todger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

It's all right -- I cracked it :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users