Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hi Gals/Guys, I have a High Speed DSL Internet Connection with my local ISP Internet and Phone provider.My Internet Connection will disconnect or I lose it however you want to put it.Sometimes under Network Connections I get messages saying cannot renew your IP Address contact your systems administrator.Also could not or failed to query TCP/UDP connections/addresses or something to that effect .Please contact your systems administrator.Often times it will repair itself.Sometimes under Network Connections it will show connected when it is not.My RealTek 8169/....Family Ethernet NIC # 2. I becomes disabled.I have to go under Properties and Enable the device.Often times just to be sure I am connected I have to disable the RealTek Device and then re-enable it.Is there any way of creating a log or is their a place on the Computer I can see how long I have been connected and also when I get disconnected.It happens at random times.Often I will reset my 660 Modem to help.All I know is this.Does the Realtek automatically disabled when the DSL connection stops ? It is an annoying aggravating inconveinece.Can any of you folks advise me what to do or tell me what the problem sounds like ? A new Ethernet Adapter Card was recently installed on my Computer.I am at odds as to what's happening here.Any help would be most greatly appreciated.God Bless All of You ! Thanks,Heartbeat85 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

The DSL connection, like any broadband connection, only "stops" when the basic signal is not getting through to the modem. So, a broadband user is always connected...unless the modem has a hiccup, power goes off, etc.

That places the blame for most connection problems...on the setup employed by the user, malware, or something that the user has done.

The first thing I would do...check all connections and try a different NIC. Many DSL installs put in a NIC when they do the service install...if you have two NICs, have you tried switching to the other one?

You might also try uninstalling/reinstalling your DSL connection program. DSL is a little more likely (IMO) to problems than cable...because DSL also normally uses connection software whereas cable users need no software, just the cable and modem.

Last but not least...check the support data from your connection provider. Chances are you are not the first/only user to have questions along this line.

You could also check Event Viewer for errors that might shed some light on what is happening or why.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Honestly speaking...I find that I am the cause of most connection problems I have...I sometimes kick cables loose :thumbsup: and discover it only when I have cussed at my system :flowers:.

I think of Internet connection problems this way...if it's not working properly, just take a couple of minutes and set the connection up anew. That will remove one suspect from the list.

Louis

#3 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Thanks Sir,First of all could you explain to me what a Modem hiccup is and how can you determine if a Modem has one.Second, Why do I even have two NIC'S ? How would I switch over to the other one ? I may be asking to much if so just pay me no mind and do not worry about it.It's all right.I have no knowledge of how to uninstall and reinstall my DSL Connection program.How would I check my connection data ? I am a little familiar with Event Viewer but would not know what the Event ID Numbers mean or where to look them up at.To be most honest with you I check my cable connections etc very frequently.All of them run behind my Computer Desk.We have no kids.They are never knocked or kicked loose.I am sure you are correct about others having their problems.Correct,by the numbers.You probably realize who uses 660 Modems.If what you saying is correct and I am not saying it is not by no means.No means at all.Then if my Computer connection goes down and I reestablish it then it should stay on.Unless there is an equipment problem because it is not a user problem I assure you 100 %.Their is a relatively simple way of seeing if it's my equipment,myself, or somebody else fault.I just need to take it to somebody who has a secure or stable Connection and hook my Computer up.If it works fine then I need not look any longer.I am very opened minded and DO APPRECIATE and and all help you can give me.I'd like to try what you are saying.Out of curiosity and I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything sir, do you know how easy your computer can be taken over, and do you know what a "Zombie" computer is.I have no idea this is happening and I do not go around looking behind my shoulder.But due to the situation I cannot comment openly about these issues nor once again I do not know if anything is happening.Just that there are those who have MUCH to gain right now anyway they could get any of my information.Politics can pull more strings than a person even has a clue.Especially if the right people are helping out somebody using lame,unjust,unfounded, excuses.Thanks Heartbeat85

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

<<First of all could you explain to me what a Modem hiccup is and how can you determine if a Modem has one.>>

A modem, like anything else manmade and electric, can experience momentary problems. Loss of signal or inaccurate signal processing can lead to a situation where broadband users experience inability to connect to the Internet. The typical "cure" for this is to reboot the modem.

<<Why do I even have two NIC'S ?>>

Every system typically comes with a NIC...for home network purposes or Internet connectivity. My experience is that DSL providers install a second NIC because that still leaves the DSL customer with the option of a wired home network, no inconvenience caused by DSL.

<<How would I switch over to the other one ?>>

If you look at the rear of your system, you see connections of varying sizes, shapes, function. If there are two that can accept the line coming from the modem to the system...you have two NICs. If there is only one, you have 1 NIC. If two exist, they perform the same function for the computer, provide a communication pathway to something existing outside the system.

<<I have no knowledge of how to uninstall and reinstall my DSL Connection program.>>

Your Internet service provider (ISP) should have given you a CD which installs the software...updated versions of same are frequently available for download at the website of the provider. If not, then I could be wrong...but I suggest contacting your ISP or consulting the website of same for details.

<<How would I check my connection data ?>>

Easy :thumbsup:. If the connection works, the data is good. If the connection doesn't work, uninstalling and reinstalling anew may correct it.

<<I am a little familiar with Event Viewer but would not know what the Event ID Numbers mean or where to look them up at.>>

You don't have to know...just post that info here. Please read the link provided previously.

<<You probably realize who uses 660 Modems.>>

The 660s (regardless of manufacturer) are DSL modems, from what I see.

<<Then if my Computer connection goes down and I reestablish it then it should stay on.Unless there is an equipment problem because it is not a user problem>>

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/117

<<Their is a relatively simple way of seeing if it's my equipment,myself, or somebody else fault.I just need to take it to somebody who has a secure or stable Connection and hook my Computer up.>>

Hmmm...don't know if that's accurate. That might work with a cable connection, but you have DSL. DSL typically requires the specific software of the provider in order to work. I don't know since I've never tried that with anyone's DSL system and I have cable. DSL installs also typically have filters on the phones...my guess would be that these would be needed at a different location.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users