Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox and Incompatible Addons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

Firefox 3.5 was released yesterday and like many people I automatically updated.

But, oh no! My favorite addon is not (yet) compatible with 3.5! What ever shall I do? Woe! Woe is me!

Or not. Just because Firefox doesn't think that an addon is compatible, doesn't make it so. Some, I daresay many, of the "incompatibles" will work just fine in the new version, they just haven't been added to the list of compatible addons yet.

In my case, the "Can't-Live-Without-It" addon is Link Alert. An extremely handy addon that adds a little icon next to the mouse pointer whenever it passes over a link. the icon indicates what kind of link it is (mailto:, new window, archive file, etc.) It's gotten so that I feel quite naked without it.

But it's "not compatible" with 3.5? Ah, but it is! I must merely force it down Firefox's throat! Here's how (this works on all platforms):

Open up a new tab in Firefox 3.5.
In the address bar, type about:config and press enter. If this is the first time you've used about:config, then you'll get a waring page:
Posted Image

Click the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button to continue.

Now, in the about:config page, right-click anywhere and select New>boolean. In the "New Boolean Value" box that appears, copy this text: extensions.checkCompatibility then click OK.

In the "Enter Boolean Value" box that pops up next, click False and then ok.

Now restart Firefox and your incompatible addons will be enabled!

If Firefox acts weird, or won't start at all after doing this, read this article about starting Firefox in safe mode.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 01 July 2009 - 12:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Looks like I'm not the only one who knows about about:config :flowers:
Anyways, nice find :thumbsup:

Edited by MadDawg, 01 July 2009 - 08:17 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 barnaclebill

barnaclebill

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

I love you Amazing Andrew, one of my favorite ones is Classic Compact, which adds about 3/4 inch to my screen was grayed out and now I have it back.

Thanks.

BarnacleBill

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:00 AM

I love you Amazing Andrew, one of my favorite ones is Classic Compact, which adds about 3/4 inch to my screen was grayed out and now I have it back.

Thanks.

BarnacleBill

Awww, how nice!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users