Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Requested Lookup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 maximus1

maximus1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi all, for a while now i having been getting a green box with a red x key and the bottom centre come up when i try and open up a link in a website the message reads "The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation code" i also continually get "Microsoft feeds synchronisation has encountered a problem and needs to close" i have tried a system retore but to no avail does anyone out there have any idea what kind of problem i may be dealing with?
ps in addition no updates are being downloaded, i'm on xp service pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

This is with Internet Explorer and/or Outlook Express?

If IE, what version are you using?

The first problem sounds like an issue with the web page you are trying to view. Do you see this message on all web pages or is it just a certain web page where you see the message every time you visit? If it is just certain pages, I would say the problem is in the page, so you can live with it on those pages, or contact the page author to let them know to fix it.

You can also try another computer and/or another browser (like Firefox) on the suspicious pages to help narrow down the source of the issue. If you get the same message on another computer with the same browser, it is probably the page.

If it is not an invasion of your privacy, copy and paste the link to the afflicted page that displays this message and I can try it here with my IE7 and Firefox and see what happens.

The second error sounds like an issue with IE "RSS feeds". Here is a Microsoft article that tells you more about that problem and how it relates to feeds and steps to correct it. If you are not interested in feeds, you can just turn them off and not worry about it, or fix it, then turn them off and still not worry about it!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926447

Edited by joseibarra, 01 July 2009 - 11:32 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 maximus1

maximus1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

ok thanks very much for that, the problem relates to every unfortunately and when i tried to click on the link you sent me i got the same error message ie; the requested look up

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

Hmmm, okay.

Are you using Internet Explorer 8? We will need to know for sure the browser version under Help, About Internet Explorer.

If IE8:

Did IE8 come installed on your computer or did you upgrade/install it yourself from a previous version?

Did this problem start after IE8 came on the scene (did browsing used to work okay)?

No matter what version of IE:

Click Start, Programs, Accessorires, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) to run IE with just minimal options and see how that works.

Can you recall what might have changed from the time browsing worked until the problem? That is a hard question, I know...

I am NOT using IE8 at all so troubleshooting may be difficult for me, so we may have to get some help from some people that do have IE8 if that is your browser.

I will look around some more though :thumbsup: .

Edited by joseibarra, 01 July 2009 - 05:13 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 mdoggy39

mdoggy39

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

I just had this problem, and after i updated to ie 8, problem solved. If u are using ie 7, go to add remove programs, click show updates and uninstall ie 7.

#6 maximus1

maximus1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

ok thanks guys well firstly i followed the start-programmes-accesories-system tools option but when i got there there was no inernet explorer option in the box - i then tried the ie7 option this was not listed either i have discovered tho' i have micorsoft updates waiting to be downloaded but they just will not download??? i getting very frustrated now!!

#7 maximus1

maximus1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

ps it would seemi'm still on explorer 6?????

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

You might try updating to IE7 or IE8.

IE6 is outdated for a reason...primarily those regarding system security, IMO.

Louis

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

So, in your IE, you went to Help, About Internet Explorer and does it say IE6?

Like the folks said, that is old.

IE7 has been around for a while and seems stable. IE8 is the latest and opinions on it vary about getting it installed and stable.

I choose not to upgrade to IE8 unless I have a compelling reason.

You should upgrade your IE to either 7 or 8 since nobody is going to want to spend too much effort on trying to get an old copy of IE6 working when new ones are available.

A lot of people like the Firefox browser also, so that is an option for you. You can have more than one browser installed.

I have Firefox and IE7 and use Firefox 99.99% percent of the time. I only use IE when I need to see some Microsoft pages like the Windows Updates.

#10 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

So cant get to the Microsoft KB article, and cant download windows updates, Starting to sound like an infection to me, see if you can update your antivirus and give your machine a scan, if you cant update your AV either, you might have a malware issue instead of an IE issue.

#11 maximus1

maximus1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

hi guys for the replies, ok firstly my apologies its outlook express thats 6 no my ie, which is 7 btw, yeah i have run antivirus and removed everything but still the problem persisits - i do have firefox so i will try that route

#12 maximus1

maximus1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

guys one more thing i have upgraded to offic 2007 but when i try and set this as my default email it wont let me dont know if this helps you with the problem

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi, Maximums1.

I have not given up yet, but the additional information is still making me believe this problem has something to do with RSS feeds that might be configured for IE and/or Outlook Express.

Since I use neither, I am not sure yet how to advise on how to fix the problem so I will have to set a few things up and see if I can recreate your problem here. I would rather do that instead of just having you "try" things.

To get yor IE to run with no add ons, click Start, Run and copy and paste this exactly into the Open box:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

Then press OK. This will start IE with minimal add on options and you may get some other messages, but I want to see if you still get your original message or not. Now I don't think it is an add on problem, but it is easy to check anyway.

Are you purposely subscribed to any RSS feeds (like news feeds) in IE or Outlook Express? I see IE comes with one for Microsoft built in but I can delete it. Now I don't have any, but still don't have your problem.

To look at your IE feeds, click the gold star to the left of the Address line to open a new menu. Click Feeds to see what you have there. Each entry is a feed you are subscribed to either on purpose or by accident.

If none of it looks familiar and you don't want them, you could just delete the feeds you don't want (or all of them) and restart IE to see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users