Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just formatted and using the following:

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ringside

Ringside

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:09 AM

Hello all,

After a nasty virus I decided to format and I'm currently enjoying a fresh PC once again. I have installed the following Anti Virus and Spyware tools:

Avira Antivir & Spybot Search and Destroy

Is there anything else I could / should use in conjunction with these?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

First off, what OS are you running (this is just for one of the protection pieces)?

Secondly, I personally would say to drop Spybot since it's not as good as it was a while back from what I hear. Alternative Antispyware scanners include Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware.

Also, it'd probably be best to be behind a third party firewall such as Comodo or Zonealarm.

You can find more HERE for a firewall of choice as well as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware there. Just remember to only have one Firewall on your computer running, so disable the one in Windows when installing the firewall of choice if you decide to take a third party firewall. Also to note, I don't think Comodo's in there, and I'm not sure on the download link myself. I do remember, though, that if you do download Comodo, make sure you uncheck the box to download their Antivirus app or something to that degree.

Edited by scff249, 01 July 2009 - 01:31 AM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 Ringside

Ringside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

Thank you for the reply scff249, I'll look into your suggestions. For your information I'm running XP professional.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

I am also on XP I use Comodo CIS v3.9 along with Spywareblaster as real time protection. I use Superantispyware and Malwarebytes (both much better than Spybot and also free) as on demand spyware/malware scanners. I use these in conjunction with Mozilla Firefox with the Ad-Block Plus, No Scripts add-ons. I only use Internet Explorer for Windows Updates. I safe surf and I haven't had even a tracking cookie in three months.
Some people are a bit dubious of the Comodo Anti-Virus part of Comodo CIS as they are mainly known for their super free Firewall. I personally think it is as good as anything going and now with hourly updates getting better all the time. If on the other hand you prefer a seperate Firewall and AV then the free version of Avira Antivir is hard to beat. All of these programs are light on resources and do not slow your PC down or have conflicts.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Ringside

Ringside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

Thanks to you bluesjunior also, every bit of input is welcome. Hopefully I won't fall foul of what I did earlier in the week!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users