Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network fades in and out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 m.hoyer

m.hoyer

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:47 AM

I have two desktop and two notebook computers. One of the desktop computers is hardwired to the network throught the D-Link router. The other three computers are connected via wireless adapters (one built-in, one through a wireless PCMCIA card, and one through a pen type USB adapter. The problem I'm having is inconsistent connection to the network. The signal strength seems to come and go without any rhyme or reason. Any suggestions on how I might overcome this?

Oh. Maybe I should add that the wireless router is upstairs, the other three computers are downstairs, but never more than 50' from the router. The house is old frame construction; there really isn't much metal between the floors.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:23 PM

My first suggestion would be to use the Administrator console to modify the DHCP settings such that your four main PCs (both wired and wireless) are given a static address. I have had a nagging problem on a D-Link (DI-524) where an otherwise strong signal would occasionally disconnect and re-connect. A check of the logs showed that DHCP was attempting to re-assign the computers their IP address every couple of minutes or so. A statically assigned address (was in fact the same address) thwarted this and my connections have all been much more dependable since then (except sometimes when the microwave is run it seems).

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

here is a link to another similar issue and the reply i gave, pchartwell, you are correct about the timimg with interference and microwave.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Bel...elp-t24518.html
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users