Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beep Code question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vegassounder

vegassounder

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:47 PM

Intel site explains three (3) beeps while trying to boot means that the first 64KB of memory is failing.
Where is this memory located?
Does it refer to processor memory, cashe, on board RAM, or what?
If its anything other than RAM, I need to return my recently purchased MB for a replacement
Thanks for your help
Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:42 AM

If you have more then 1 stick of memory in the computer try posting with 1 stick at a time & see if the beeps go away.

If you only have 1 stick in it you need to try a different one.

If the motherboard has a CD drive hooked to it you could make a Memtest86 disk & test the memory.
The computer would have to pass POST & be able to boot to do that though.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:33 AM

I believe I am right in stating the base 640k Memory is no longer based on the motherboard and is taken from the expandable memory modules (simms/dimms ram) that you actually insert to your motherboard like fairjoeblue has stated, switch the ram maybe as it most likely leads me to think you have a bad stick OR its become slightly dislodged through heat expansion. Try removing your ram stick(s) and reseating them and see what happens! (with the power off of course :thumbsup: )

Let me know how you get on!

High500

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

Conclusions above are correct. Low memory, except for very rare motherboards with system memory on-board, begins from first address in the SIMM/DIMM card. Starts with the interrupt table and other important system data. Prove by swapping DIMMs or running memory test as suggested.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for the advice.
Guess I should have included the following in my post:

I swapped out my 500Mhz MB with a 2Ghz unit and simply transferred the RAM.

Turned out the RAM wasn't fast enough so I replaced it and that solved the problem.

However, your posts did point me in the right direction.
I was about ready to return the MB as DOA an ask for a refund.

Thanks again.

Chuck

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

Glad you got it sorted! Thanks for letting us know.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users