Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Power Supply Fan issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Raith

Raith

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hi all,

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS310, I have had this desktop computer since 2002. Just a couple of years ago I had this fan noise and whenever I stop the computer (shut it down completely) and wait 5 minutes or so and turn the computer back on, the noise disappears. Now, for the past three days I've had the same sound over and over. I have tried to do the same method as before, close it and restarting the computer after 5 minutes or something.

After removing the computer case, I have isolated the issue to be the power supply fan, I removed the case and cleaned out the fan. I put everything back on and wam, the noise is heavier, sounds like it wants to implode or something. I was wondering, since many websites said the PSU fan has a sticker and underneath it is a hole? I haven't tried but it seems like there is for the fan. I'm not going to be using WD-40 (not good I heard), but question remains:

How long until I have do I do this all over again? And does it always work? Included is the sound of my computer, youtube'd:

Thanks in advance for help/reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

Once a fan starts making noise there is no "fixing" it.

You have 2 choices, replace the fan or replace the power supply.

The wiser of the 2 is replace the power supply.

If you choose to replace the fan be very careful when working inside a power supply.
They have capacitors that sttore electricity.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:46 PM

Oiling the fan, may quieten it down for a while, but it will only be a temporary fix.
As fairjoeblue said, it won't be a permanent fix.
Once a fan starts making noise (what sounds like bearing failure, in your case), it's on it's way out.
Failure will happen.
It's just a matter, of time.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:59 PM

Thank you both for the advice, uhm. Why would it be best to buy a new PSU instead of just replace the fan that's noisy?
Edit, where do I buy either of these parts? I said my computer model in the OP.

Edited by Raith, 01 July 2009 - 01:09 AM.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:37 AM

There are a couple of reasons for buying a new power supply.

You indicated that the fan has been making noise for somethime.
Usually fans that are making noise don't spin as they should which means thry also don' cool as they should.
There are parts in a power supply that can be damaged by running hot over a period of time.

EVERYTHING in your computer is powered by the power supply one way or another.
By using a questionable power supply you are putting everything in the computer at risk.
By trying to save a couple of dollars by just getting a new fan you may end up wondering why your computer won't come on after the motherboard fries.

Also, heat damaged power supplies may work but that doesn't mean that they haven't become weak on some outputs & are underpowering components.

Unless you need an excuse to buy a new computer you are a lot farther ahead to spend the money on a decent power supply.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

where do I buy either of these parts?

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?...=Power-Supplies
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:51 PM

where do I buy either of these parts?

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?...=Power-Supplies

I have a question, does it *fit*? Or are all power supplies the same size? Thanks.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

The Vaio PCV-RS310 should take a standard ATX power supply.

I suggest getting a decent one, not the cheapest one.

#9 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

The Vaio PCV-RS310 should take a standard ATX power supply.

I suggest getting a decent one, not the cheapest one.

What is an ATX? A brand? Thanks.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

ATX is a "form factor" .
Basically a particular physical size of power supply .

Most any of these will work,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

If you want something decent & reliable I suggest buying one with a better rating & avoid the really chep ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users